Does Rafael Nadal remain the King of Clay?
That is the big question surrounding the 14-time Grand Slam winner as the world’s best players gather in Monte Carlo this week for the first Masters of the season played on clay.
Relaxed, tanned and smiling, the former top-ranked Nadal looks more than happy to return to his favorite surface after a mediocre start to the season during which he believed he was in the worst form of his life.
The Spaniard has a 15-5 record this year, having lost in the quarter-finals at the Australian Open after recovering from a wrist injury and an appendectomy. After that, he enjoyed a good week in Buenos Aires, where he won the title in February, but then struggled on the hard courts of Indian Wells and Miami.
“This tournament marks the start of my favorite part of the season,” Nadal told reporters on Sunday as he bids for a ninth title in Monte Carlo.
“I know that I have to play better than what I did. I’m working to be playing well again as soon as possible. If I did not believe in my chances, I would not be here. I would be doing other stuff, because I already achieved all the things I needed to do in my career. I still have the passion and motivation to keep playing tennis,” he said.
Nadal, who has dropped to fifth in the rankings, returned to Spain to practice at home after his loss to Fernando Verdasco in Miami. He believes the small adjustments he made to his game are likely to pay off and to help him play with more consistency and confidence.
“For me, the most important is the mental part, because I don’t think I forgot how to play tennis,” the smiling 28-year-old Nadal said. “From playing bad to playing well, there is not a very big difference. It’s just small things that make big changes. If I’m well mentally, if I can play with a little bit more confidence, it will be easier to hit better shots.”
Monte Carlo is the first of three Masters tournaments played on clay and is followed by Madrid and Rome, leading up to the French Open, which starts on May 24.
Some first-round matches got under way on Sunday, with 27th-ranked Bernard Tomic rallying past Lukas Rosol 4-6, 6-2, 6-3, and Florian Mayer making a winning return on the Tour after hitting six aces en route to a 7-6 (8), 6-4 win over wild card Mikhail Youzhny. Mayer had been sidelined for more than a year because of a groin injury. Also, Victor Estrella Burgos defeated Simone Bolelli 6-4, 7-6 (5).
Nadal said Roland Garros, where he has reigned supreme over the last 10 years, “is not in my mind at the moment.”
He has been handed a difficult draw at Monte Carlo, with a potential quarter-final match against David Ferrer, who beat him last year at the same stage of the tournament, and a possible semi-final with top-ranked Novak Djokovic.
Djokovic, like Nadal’s other rivals, is not giving too much importance to the Spaniard’s current struggles. For them, he remains the man who won the French Open nine out of the past 10 years.
Defending champion Stan Wawrinka listed Nadal alongside Djokovic as the French Open favorites and the Serb has no doubt about his soon-to-be recovery.
“Whenever the clay court season comes around, he is the first player to be mentioned as the favorite in any tournament,” Djokovic said. “He is called the ‘King of Clay’ and he deserves that crown. He has lost only one match in Roland Garros, and he is an ultimate challenge. Even though he has struggled with injuries and lack of matches, it’s Nadal and this is his surface.”
While Nadal has not won a big tournament since last year’s French Open, Djokovic became the first man to complete the Indian Wells-Key Biscayne spring sweep three times earlier this month. The injury-prone Djokovic admits he is tired after his tremendous start to the season, but remains confident the fitness work he did during the offseason will help him stay healthy.
‘GREAT EVENING‘: In the women’s singles in Rome, Simona Halep and Karolina Pliskova advanced, while Rafael Nadal swept into the quarters in the men’s singles Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Friday had to dig deep to advance to the semi-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. The top seeds, who did not drop a game in their opening match on the clay courts at the Foro Italico, battled to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 victory over sixth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Katerina Siniakova in 1 hour, 39 minutes. The reigning Wimbledon champions saved nine of 11 break points and converted three of eight, winning 56 percent of points on their second serve and sending down two aces
’SO CONSISTENT’: The victory gave the world No. 1 and world No. 2 a 21-1 win-loss record and their fourth title of the season after successes in Brisbane, Dubai and Doha Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Sunday cruised to their fourth women’s doubles title of the season at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome in their first tournament back since the suspension of the WTA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The top seeds took just 63 minutes to complete a comprehensive 6-2, 6-2 victory over unseeded German-Romanian duo Anna-Lena Friedsam and Raluca Olaru at the Foro Italico. It was the Taiwanese-Czech pairing’s first outing since they won the Qatar Open in February. “After five months, you don’t know what to expect,” Strycova told the WTA Web site.
ANOTHER SCANDAL: Searches focused on several riders, including Dayer Quintana, a source said, while the two being held were reportedly a doctor and physiotherapist French police on Monday detained two people as part of an investigation into suspected doping in the Arkea-Samsic team at this year’s Tour de France, prosecutors announced. The probe is the first significant one in several years for the repeatedly scandal-hit tour, which on Sunday wrapped up in Paris with a victory for 21-year-old Tadej Pogacar, who became the youngest winner in more than a century. Prosecutor Dominique Laurens in Marseille said in a statement that an investigation was being carried out into a “small part” of France-based Arkea-Samsic, without specifying who had been placed in custody. Laurens added that the two
Former MLB pitcher Wang Wei-chung has signed the biggest contract with a local team in Taiwan’s professional baseball history, the Wei Chuan Dragons said yesterday. The 28-year-old left-hander signed a five-year US$2.08 million contract with the Dragons, team chairman Hsu Wen-fang told a news conference. It is the biggest contract in the CPBL’s 31-year history, surpassing a three-year, US$1.36 million deal Lin Chih-sheng signed in 2016 with the CTBC Brothers. Although the overall value of Wang’s deal set a new record, his average monthly salary of NT$990,000 (US$33,886) is lower than Lin’s pay of NT$1.2 million per month in 2017