Formula One driver Giedo van der Garde’s bid to compete at the Australian Grand Prix hung in the balance yesterday after Sauber appealed against a court order to let him race.
The Dutchman won the case, but the Victoria Supreme Court agreed to hear Sauber’s appeal today, a day before official practice starts at the season-opener in Melbourne.
Van der Garde claims he was guaranteed a seat for this season, but that Sauber reneged on the deal and instead handed berths to Sweden’s Marcus Ericsson, or rookie Brazilian Felipe Nasr, who are heavily sponsored.
Photo: AFP
He originally took his case to a Swiss arbitration tribunal, which ordered Sauber to keep him on the team. Victoria Supreme Court Justice Clyde Croft backed that ruling, enforcing it in Australia.
Croft said his decision was made purely on points of law.
The outcome opened the door for Van der Garde, 29, a reserve driver for the Swiss team last year, to compete in Sunday’s season-opener, pending Sauber’s appeal.
“We’ll see what comes out tomorrow and I’m still hopeful,” Van der Garde told reporters outside court after it agreed to hear the appeal. “I’m very fit and very strong. I’m looking forward to going back to the team, [to] work hard and do our best for the weekend.”
Sauber lawyer Rodney Garratt had earlier argued it would be “reckless” to let him compete in an unfamiliar car tailored to another driver and without going through the two-week seat-fitting process.
He said such a move would be “dangerous” and put other drivers and support staff at an “unacceptable” risk.
“Mr Van der Garde has no experience driving the C34 Ferrari and would not have sufficient time to learn,” Garratt told the court.
However, Van der Garde’s lawyer Tom Clarke argued that in 2012, a Formula One driver was fitted with a seat just three days after being granted a drive by an emergency ruling.
Sauber’s chief executive Monisha Kaltenborn said the team was “disappointed” with the ruling, in a statement released before it launched its appeal.
“What we cannot do is jeopardize the safety of our team, or any other driver on the track, by having an unprepared driver in a car that has now been tailored to two other assigned drivers,” Kaltenborn said.
Van der Garde insisted there would be no safety issues if he was in the cockpit for Sunday’s race.
“No, not at all. I’m the fittest ever. I’ve been training the last three months flat-out,” he said, adding that despite the dispute he was keen to work with Sauber again. “I’m looking forward to going back to the team. I had a very good relationship, I still have a very good relationship, with the team.”
Van der Garde, who drove for fellow minnows Caterham during the 2013 season, making 19 starts, said he would be on track at Albert Park yesterday afternoon to prepare for the race. Sauber endured a poor season last year, failing to register a single point in 19 races.
However, they showed encouraging speed and reliability in pre-season testing, with Nasr going fastest on the second day of the first test in Jerez, Spain.
Ademola Lookman on Thursday scored on his Atletico Madrid debut in a 5-0 rout of Real Betis Balompie that sent Diego Simeone’s team to the semi-finals of the Copa del Rey. David Hancko, Giuliano Simeone, Antoine Griezmann and Thiago Almada also scored for Atletico as they advanced to the last four for the third straight season. Atletico are trying to reach their first Copa final since winning the competition in 2012-2013. Hancko opened the scoring for the visitors in the 12th minute and Giuliano Simeone added to the lead in the 30th, before Lookman got his first goal for Atletico on a fast
France head coach Fabien Galthie on Thursday lauded his team’s attacking performance after their dazzling 36-14 victory over Ireland in their Six Nations opener. A brace of tries from Louis Bielley-Biarrey and one from mercurial flyhalf Matthieu Jalibert helped France storm into a 29-0 lead before taking their foot off the gas and allowing Ireland back into the match, before winger Theo Attissogbe put some gloss on the victory late on. “In an attacking sense, with the ball, the team played with great accuracy,” Galthie said. “It was one of the most accurate attacking performances in a long time, despite the weather
SUPERSTAR DELIVERS: Victor Wembanyama scored 29 points and pulled down 11 rebounds to propel the Spurs to a 135-123 victory over the Dallas Mavericks The Los Angeles Lakers on Thursday shook off the early exit of injured star Luka Doncic, rallying without him in the second half for a 119-115 victory over the Philadelphia 76ers. Austin Reaves, again coming off the bench in his second game back from a 19-game injury absence, scored 13 of his 35 points in the fourth quarter, drilling a pair of back-to-back three-pointers to give the Lakers their first lead of the game early in the final frame. “Losing Luka, you know nothing’s going to be easy after that because he does so much for us, but we bonded together,” said
Italy are finally heading to the World Cup — just not in the sport most people might expect. Amid dark times for the country’s storied, but ailing soccer team, some salvation comes in the form of the Azzurri’s unheralded cricketers after their first-ever qualification for a global tournament. Add Italy to cricketing superpowers like India, Australia, England and South Africa competing at the T20 World Cup starting tomorrow. “Just to be there and playing is the end of 45 years of hard work,” Italian Cricket Federation CEO Luca Bruno Malaspina said. That is a reference to the formation of the sport’s national federation in