Kobe Bryant does not like the idea, but he would comply if the Lakers opt to shut their aging superstar down in what is turning into a lost season for Los Angeles.
“It’s a tough one for me,” Bryant said of the prospect of sitting out a considerable chunk of an NBA season. “I want to play, but at the same time, I understand management’s position. I will do what they ask me to do.”
It is a subject that has come up as the Lakers’ struggles have continued and the 36-year-old, sidelined for all but six games last season, has been inconsistent on the floor.
Last month, Bryant passed NBA icon Michael Jordan for third on the league’s all-time scoring list.
However, the strong performances have been overshadowed by poor-scoring nights and uncharacteristic spates of turnovers.
Thursday night was one of the good ones for Bryant, who handed out a career-high 17 assists and scored 19 points with only three turnovers. However, it went for naught as the Lakers lost to LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Staples Center fans chanted: “We want Kobe!” whenever he was on the bench, but Lakers coach Byron Scott has vowed to strictly limit Bryant’s minutes in a bid to keep him fresh.
“I wanted to say: ‘I want him too,’” Scott said. “I know how much he means to us, but I also know that in the long run it’s going to be the best thing for us.”
And if the Lakers are out of playoff contention come March — which seems virtually certain for the 12-28 club — there has been talk that the team could choose to shut him down entirely in a bid to make sure he is healthy for a final NBA campaign next season.
“But right now the situation remains the same as far as game by game,” Scott said.
In the meantime, Scott wants to do what he can to keep the star going, and he said Bryant, a workhorse throughout his career, is getting used to the reduced minutes.
“I think he’s dealt with it extremely well,” Scott said. “I think he understands he’s still a hell of a basketball player, but he’s not what he used to be.
“He can’t play 40 minutes a night,” he added. “He can’t play four out of five nights. He doesn’t want to limp out — that’s one of the reasons we’re doing what we’re doing right now.”
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Friday said that he had called in the “third umpire” as he announced that recreational cricket would be allowed to resume next weekend. In a radio interview earlier on Friday, Johnson angered thousands of club cricketers by saying that the amateur game was still not safe to play amid the COVID-19 pandemic because of issues surrounding communal teas and dressing rooms. “It’s the teas, it’s the changing rooms and so on and so forth. There are other factors involved that generate proximity which you might not get in a game of tennis,” he said. Johnson had already
Hong Kong media reported that police briefly detained a man in a Liverpool team jersey who shouted “long live Liverpool” during anti-government protests on Wednesday, over suspicion that he was inciting independence. In-Media reported that the man was across the street from police officers who were conducting stop-and-searches on a group of protesters, when he shouted: “Long live Liverpool.” Others reportedly cheered and joined in the chant, before officers detained him. The man told In-Media that police had accused him of inciting Hong Kong independence, which now is a punishable crime. He said that he has been a fan of the English soccer
Indian police are investigating an alleged betting scandal in which a sham cricket tournament was held in an Indian village and passed off as a Twenty20 contest played in Sri Lanka. Players portrayed as Sri Lankan cricketers played two matches on Monday last week that were broadcast with live commentary on YouTube, media reports said, along with ball-by-ball coverage on top Indian sports Web sites. The organizers hung Sri Lankan advertisements at the ground for added authenticity and put up tents to block the view from outside the remote rural venue, set in farmland next to a busy highway. Police said that they
Taipower on Sunday charged to their third straight win and took over first place in the Taiwan Football Premier League as previous leaders Taichung Futuro suffered their first defeat of the season, while Hang Yuan rallied from two goals down to complete a thrilling 3-2 victory over National Taiwan University of Sport (NTUS). Heading into the 10th round of matches, unbeaten Taichung Futuro led the league with 21 points, but they fell to their first defeat of the season, a 1-0 loss to Tatung at the National Stadium in Kaohsiung. In a match in which both defenses were on top and there