Sun, Sep 21, 2014 - Page 18 News List

SPORTS BRIEFS

Agencies

BOXING

Mayweather faces probe

Boxer-promoter Floyd Mayweather Jr has been ordered to appear before Nevada boxing officials who want to question him about events in his gym that were aired recently on the Showtime sports network. The Nevada Athletic Commission says it wants to ask Mayweather about how sparring sessions are conducted in his gym and another scene that included women apparently smoking marijuana inside the facility, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported on Friday. Mayweather did not participate, but was shown telling someone else to get some rolling papers for the women. The scene aired on Showtime prior to his world title fight against Marcos Maidana last week. Another scene showed marathon sparring sessions, including one that went on for more than 30 minutes. In the clip, Hasim Rahman and Donovan Cameron are shown in a lengthy battle, while Mayweather’s team appears to bet on the outcome, the newspaper said. “The doghouse; the rules are you fight till whoever quits. Guys fight to the death. It is not right, but it is doghouse rules,” Mayweather said on the Showtime episode. Mayweather was given his Nevada promoter’s license in July. “My main concern is the health and safety of the fighters,” commission chairman Francisco Aguilar told the newspaper. “It is not just about fight night, but about training and sparring.” When you hold a promoter’s license in Nevada, you are expected to conduct yourself properly and I think some of the commissioners have some concerns over what they saw.”

ATHLETICS

Federation seeks guidance

South Africa’s troubled athletics federation said on Friday it would seek guidance from the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) after being ordered by a court to pay nearly US$1 million to an athlete in compensation for injuries he sustained at a meet. Athletics South Africa (ASA) said pole-vaulter Jan Blignaut’s case should not have gone to a civil court under IAAF regulations and should have been dealt with through arbitration instead. The track federation’s attorney, Monty Hacker, said it would also ask the court for a “stay of execution” against the compensation award. ASA — already in severe financial trouble — was ordered to pay Blignaut 10.4 million South African rand (US$940,000) by a court on Tuesday for head injuries he suffered in a fall at an ASA event in Pretoria in March 2009. Blignaut blamed ASA and its meet officials for negligence and brought a case against the track federation in 2011. He increased his initial claim of about $240,000 to $900,000, ASA said. ASA said it could be forced into liquidation by the court order.

SCUBA DIVING

Egyptian sets depth record

An Egyptian diver has broken the world record for the deepest scuba dive, Guinness World Records officials said on Friday. Judge Talal Omar confirmed the record by Ahmed Gabr at a depth of 332.35m in the diving resort of Dahab, on Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula. Omar said the record attempt started on Thursday morning, and that Gabr emerged from the water just after midnight on Friday. The previous record, achieved in June 2005 by South African Nuno Gomes, was 318.25m. Gabr is a member of Egypt’s special forces. He started his diving career at the age of 18 and was granted a scholarship to the US Army combat diver course. The 38-year-old diver started training for the world record in 2010.

This story has been viewed 1974 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top