Vincenzo Nibali crushed everyone on the last mountain leg of the Tour de France on Thursday, all but ensuring he will be crowned champion when the race ends in Paris tomorrow.
On the big, final climb of stage 18, the Italian broke out of the peloton, chased down breakaway riders and rode solo in front for the last 8km uphill.
Nibali, who captured his fourth stage of the Tour, stuck out his tongue, tapped his chest and raised a fist skyward as he finished the 145.5km stage more than a minute ahead of Thibaut Pinot of France, who was second. Rafal Majka of Poland, in third, was another two seconds back.
The remarkable effort by Nibali, set to become the first Italian to win the Tour since Marco Pantani in 1998, essentially reduced the race drama to who will join him on the podium on the Champs-Elysees tomorrow.
“I didn’t want to lose command. My goal was to win here,” Nibali said. “It was important to me to win another stage in the Pyrenees. The team worked really hard and this victory is for them.”
He is also set to become only the sixth rider to win all three Grand Tours of France, Italy and Spain. He won the Giro d’Italia last year and the 2010 Vuelta a Espana.
One man basking at the finish line was Alexandre Vinokourov, the general manager of Nibali’s Astana team, and a former rider who was expelled from the 2007 Tour for blood doping. He said the stage victory was “not by chance.”
“We said: ‘We need to show that there’s a boss,’” Vinokourov told French TV.
The last time the term “boss” was used regularly at the Tour was when a doped-up Lance Armstrong won seven in a row.
While three stages are left, yesterday’s was mostly flat and unlikely to allow a breakaway rider to gain time. The last real challenge will be today’s individual time trial, but Nibali’s lead is so big — 7 minutes, 10 seconds ahead of Pinot and 7:23 ahead of France’s Jean-Christophe Peraud — that it would take a disaster for him to lose the maillot jaune before tomorrow.
“It was a very good day, but Nibali is untouchable,” said FDJ.fr’s Pinot, who rose a spot from third.
The race for second heated up: Movistar’s Alejandro Valverde of Spain lost crucial seconds on the last climb and fell from second overall to fourth, two seconds slower than AG2R La Mondiale’s Peraud, but Valverde is considered a stronger time-trial rider than Pinot, and possibly Peraud.
“Everything is possible,” Valverde said. “Before I was ahead, now I’m behind, but it’s very tight. I’m pretty happy.”
After setting off from Pau, the riders tackled the famed Tourmalet — the highest Pyrenean peak on this year’s Tour — before heading up to the Hautacam ski station. Both climbs are among the toughest in professional cycling.
Two breakaway riders, Team Sky’s Mikel Nieve of Spain and AG2R’s Blel Kadri, a Frenchman who won stage 8, were the first over Tourmalet more than 4:30 ahead, but by the valley below the duo had lost two minutes — Nibali’s chasing peloton was gaining.
That was partly because Valverde’s Movistar squad bolted ahead in a challenge to Nibali. The Italian did not let that last long and Valverde was caught within a few minutes.
By the foot of Hautacam, the main contenders were bunched together.
Then, Lampre-Merida’s Chris Horner of the US, who beat second-placed Nibali in the Vuelta a Espana last year, broke away. Nibali stayed with him and then, rounding a curve and looking back for the peloton, burst ahead.
Nibali said later he had memories of Horner’s Vuelta a Espana victory in mind. That said, Horner was no threat for the Tour title — he was about 35 minutes behind when the stage began.
On the way up, Nibali’s shoulder whacked the outstretched elbow of a woman speaking on a mobile phone on the side of road with her back to the peloton. He winced briefly.
“Happily, it wasn’t serious for her or me,” Nibali said.
Yesterday’s stage 19 in southwestern France was likely end in a sprint finish, and Nibali and his Astana teammates would be keeping a close watch on the riders closest to him in the general classification.
They are no longer rivals, nor challengers.
WAIT AND SEE: The estimated cost of postponement started at US$2 billion and has kept rising, but the IOC has yet to say whether it would help pay for the extra expenses Postponing the Tokyo Olympics to next year would make the event more costly for all parties, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) acknowledged on Thursday, although it offered few details on what the final bill might be. Four directors of the Olympic body held a conference call three days after Tokyo’s new dates were finalized, with the Games pushed back to July 23 to Aug. 8 next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the new dates cleared up any uncertainty about the event’s future, there are still plenty of question marks as the committee begins to work with Tokyo organizers and the
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker found himself in need of an assist to help the state fight the COVID-19 pandemic. He called on the New England Patriots. One of the team’s private airplanes on Thursday evening landed in Boston after returning from China carrying more than 1 million masks critical to healthcare providers fighting to control the spread of the coronavirus. Members of the Massachusetts National Guard met the airplane and offloaded the containers of masks onto waiting trucks for transport to warehouses for distribution. Baker secured the N95 masks from Chinese manufacturers, but had no way of getting them to the US. He
DECREASED TENSION: The US players’ lawyers said that the soccer federation no longer disputes that the jobs of the women’s and men’s national teams require equal skill Women players suing the US Soccer Federation (USSF) said in in court documents filed on Tuesday that the federation has acknowledged that the jobs of male and female soccer players require equal skill. The language seemed to signal a decrease in tension between the parties after language in documents filed by the federation’s lawyers earlier last month provoked widespread outrage in saying that playing on the men’s national team required a higher level of skill based on speed and strength and carried greater responsibility. The fierce backlash — not only from the women players, but also from sponsors such as Coca-Cola —
Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are planning to play a charity golf match next month with Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, CNBC reported on Wednesday. CNBC, which cited an unnamed person familiar with the negotiations, said that the charity match would be held at an undisclosed location without fans and is being organized by the PGA Tour and AT&T’s WarnerMedia. The negotiations are still being finalized, but the match pitting 15-time major champion Woods and Manning against five-time major winner Mickelson and Brady could be aired on live TV and is unlikely to be featured on pay-per-view, CNBC said. “Discussions