Top-seeded Kevin Anderson of South Africa lost to Victor Hanescu of Romania 6-4, 6-4 on Wednesday in the second round of the Grand Prix Hassan II.
The Moroccan tournament lost its two highest-seeded players on the same day, as No. 2 Gael Monfils of France withdrew after straining his right ankle in practice.
Hanescu saved five break points and broke for a 3-2 lead in the first set. Anderson, last year’s runner-up, dropped serve again at 1-1 in the second.
Hanescu’s quarter-final opponent is scheduled to be Federico Delbonis of Argentina, who edged Canadian qualifier Filip Peliwo 6-2, 6-7 (5/7), 6-4.
The sixth-seeded Delbonis, who won the Brazil Open last month, won six straight games to take the first set and lead 2-0 in the second. However, Peliwo, the 2012 world junior champion, fought back to force a tiebreaker and leveled at one set apiece. In the third, Delbonis earned the decisive break at 4-4.
Also, Aleksandr Nedovyesov of Kazakhstan and Jiri Vesely of the Czech Republic advanced to the second round.
Vesely defeated Leonardo Mayer of Argentina 6-4, 6-3 and Nedovyesov earned his first victory on the main tour by rallying from a 5-2 deficit in the opening set to stun the seventh-seeded Robin Haase of the Netherlands 7-6 (8/6), 6-4.
The Spanish trio of Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, Albert Montanes and Pablo Carreno Busta of Spain also won their first-round matches.
The eighth-seeded Garcia-Lopez beat Mikhail Kukushkin of Kazakhstan 7-6 (7/5), 7-6 (8/6) despite making seven double faults.
Named most improved player of the year by the ATP for climbing from 715th to 65th in the rankings last season, Carreno Busta cruised past Tobias Kamke of Germany 6-1, 6-2. The Spaniard broke Kamke twice in each set and did not face any break point.
Montanes saved all four break points he faced in his 6-2, 6-3 win over Kenny de Schepper of France.
US MEN’S CLAY COURT
AFP, HOUSTON, Texas
Germany’s Dustin Brown upset top-seeded American John Isner in three sets to reach the quarter-finals of the US Men’s Clay Court Championships on Wednesday.
The world No. 101 Brown outlasted the hard-hitting defending champ Isner 6-4, 6-7 (7/9), 7-6 (7/4) on the clay courts at the River Oaks Country Club.
Isner forced a deciding set by winning an extended tiebreaker in the second, but Brown rebounded to claim the final tiebreak. It was his first-ever victory over a top-10 opponent.
Isner, who is ranked ninth in the world, beat Nicolas Almargo in last year’s final.
Brown is next to face Sam Querrey in the quarter-finals after the 2010 Houston finalist toppled former champion Lleyton Hewitt of Australia earlier on Wednesday.
Querrey beat the seventh-seeded former world No. 1 Hewitt 6-3, 6-4 in just 76 minutes. Hewitt, who is enjoying a resurgence this year, won in Houston back in 2009.
In opening-round play on Wednesday, Argentine Juan Monaco stopped India’s Somdev Devvarman 7-6 (7/4), 6-2, and Colombian Santiago Giraldo ousted Aussie Matthew Ebden 6-1, 6-2.
Monaco titled here two years ago.
DECREASED TENSION: The US players’ lawyers said that the soccer federation no longer disputes that the jobs of the women’s and men’s national teams require equal skill Women players suing the US Soccer Federation (USSF) said in in court documents filed on Tuesday that the federation has acknowledged that the jobs of male and female soccer players require equal skill. The language seemed to signal a decrease in tension between the parties after language in documents filed by the federation’s lawyers earlier last month provoked widespread outrage in saying that playing on the men’s national team required a higher level of skill based on speed and strength and carried greater responsibility. The fierce backlash — not only from the women players, but also from sponsors such as Coca-Cola —
A businessman who received millions of dollars for his work on Tokyo’s successful campaign to host the 2020 Olympic Games has said that he played a key role in securing the support of a former Olympics powerbroker suspected by French prosecutors of taking bribes to help Japan’s bid. Haruyuki Takahashi, a former executive at the advertising agency Dentsu, was paid US$8.2 million by the committee that spearheaded Tokyo’s bid for the 2020 Games, financial records showed. Takahashi said the work included lobbying International Olympic Committee (IOC) members such as Lamine Diack, the ex-Olympics powerbroker, and that he gave Diack gifts, including digital
Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are planning to play a charity golf match next month with Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, CNBC reported on Wednesday. CNBC, which cited an unnamed person familiar with the negotiations, said that the charity match would be held at an undisclosed location without fans and is being organized by the PGA Tour and AT&T’s WarnerMedia. The negotiations are still being finalized, but the match pitting 15-time major champion Woods and Manning against five-time major winner Mickelson and Brady could be aired on live TV and is unlikely to be featured on pay-per-view, CNBC said. “Discussions
WAIT AND SEE: The estimated cost of postponement started at US$2 billion and has kept rising, but the IOC has yet to say whether it would help pay for the extra expenses Postponing the Tokyo Olympics to next year would make the event more costly for all parties, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) acknowledged on Thursday, although it offered few details on what the final bill might be. Four directors of the Olympic body held a conference call three days after Tokyo’s new dates were finalized, with the Games pushed back to July 23 to Aug. 8 next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the new dates cleared up any uncertainty about the event’s future, there are still plenty of question marks as the committee begins to work with Tokyo organizers and the