Australia’s two-time WBA super middleweight and IBO middleweight champion Anthony Mundine was fighting for his future in the ring yesterday after he was knocked down five times in a points loss to Ghanaian Joshua Clottey.
Mundine, 38, the third-ranked fighter in the WBA International super welterweight division, was felled twice in the sixth and once in the third, eighth and 10th rounds in Newcastle, Australia, late on Wednesday.
The three judges scored Clottey a unanimous points winner — 116-108, 115-109, 117-108.
Pundits said Mundine showed heart to make it through to the end of the 12 rounds in what was probably the most punishing fight of his life.
“Mundine’s world title hopes took a potentially fatal hit and raised questions over his boxing future after he was knocked down five times,” Australian Associated Press’ veteran boxing writer Adrian Warren said.
The manner of his defeat raised doubts about Mundine’s ring future in a career of 46 wins with six defeats.
However, he refused to speculate on it after the fight.
“I know I’m not done,” Mundine said yesterday. “I don’t know what I want to do, I’ll talk and sit with the team. I’m upset and it’s an emotional time, so I don’t want to make any rash decisions or say anything. I just want to get some rest and see what’s next.”
Mundine paid tribute to 36-year-old Clottey, whose only four defeats in 43 bouts have been to world champions — Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto, Antonio Margarito and Carlos Baldomir.
“I got caught early and I couldn’t recover,” Mundine said.
“Full credit to Joshua, he put me on my back a few times, but I finished the fight,” he said.
DECREASED TENSION: The US players’ lawyers said that the soccer federation no longer disputes that the jobs of the women’s and men’s national teams require equal skill Women players suing the US Soccer Federation (USSF) said in in court documents filed on Tuesday that the federation has acknowledged that the jobs of male and female soccer players require equal skill. The language seemed to signal a decrease in tension between the parties after language in documents filed by the federation’s lawyers earlier last month provoked widespread outrage in saying that playing on the men’s national team required a higher level of skill based on speed and strength and carried greater responsibility. The fierce backlash — not only from the women players, but also from sponsors such as Coca-Cola —
A businessman who received millions of dollars for his work on Tokyo’s successful campaign to host the 2020 Olympic Games has said that he played a key role in securing the support of a former Olympics powerbroker suspected by French prosecutors of taking bribes to help Japan’s bid. Haruyuki Takahashi, a former executive at the advertising agency Dentsu, was paid US$8.2 million by the committee that spearheaded Tokyo’s bid for the 2020 Games, financial records showed. Takahashi said the work included lobbying International Olympic Committee (IOC) members such as Lamine Diack, the ex-Olympics powerbroker, and that he gave Diack gifts, including digital
Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are planning to play a charity golf match next month with Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, CNBC reported on Wednesday. CNBC, which cited an unnamed person familiar with the negotiations, said that the charity match would be held at an undisclosed location without fans and is being organized by the PGA Tour and AT&T’s WarnerMedia. The negotiations are still being finalized, but the match pitting 15-time major champion Woods and Manning against five-time major winner Mickelson and Brady could be aired on live TV and is unlikely to be featured on pay-per-view, CNBC said. “Discussions
WAIT AND SEE: The estimated cost of postponement started at US$2 billion and has kept rising, but the IOC has yet to say whether it would help pay for the extra expenses Postponing the Tokyo Olympics to next year would make the event more costly for all parties, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) acknowledged on Thursday, although it offered few details on what the final bill might be. Four directors of the Olympic body held a conference call three days after Tokyo’s new dates were finalized, with the Games pushed back to July 23 to Aug. 8 next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the new dates cleared up any uncertainty about the event’s future, there are still plenty of question marks as the committee begins to work with Tokyo organizers and the