Michael Laudrup on Tuesday said he was sacked as manager of Premier League side Swansea City earlier this month for a breach of contract.
The 49-year-old Dane, who won the League Cup with the Welsh team last season, held a news conference in London to explain the circumstances surrounding his abrupt dismissal.
Laudrup said he was asked by the Swansea hierarchy to change his backroom staff last month, but refused their request.
Following two meetings with club officials, including chairman Huw Jenkins, Laudrup said he got an e-mail which said that owing to a “breach of contract,” his position had been terminated.
Laudrup did not go into specifics, but said the reasons were given to him nine days after the original decision was made.
“I don’t know what word to use: ‘silly’ or ‘incredible,’ but I can’t go into details,” Laudrup said when asked if he was satisfied with the criteria given by Swansea. “The chairman’s statement gives more questions than answers.”
Asked how he felt he had been treated by the club, Laudrup said: “Pick a feeling. Not that good.”
In Swansea’s Feb. 4 statement announcing that Laudrup had been sacked, Jenkins said: “It is a decision we have taken reluctantly, but it’s a decision made in the best interests of Swansea City Football Club and our supporters.”
“It is the first time in nearly 10 years that the club has parted with a manager in this way, but we had to remove the constant uncertainty surrounding the club and Michael’s long-term future with us,” Jenkins added.
The dispute is now in the hands of lawyers, with Laudrup having signed a new deal last year to stay at the club until June next year.
Laudrup on Tuesday said he was committed to staying at Swansea despite a rift that reportedly formed between his agent, Bayram Tutumlu, and Jenkins.
“At the end of the season, I gave my word to the players and fans that I would stay even though I knew from agents — I didn’t speak to anyone — that a couple of big clubs were interested in me. I said it was important that I keep my word. I don’t run from that, so I will stay,” the former Denmark international said.
Despite the situation, Laudrup said he has fond memories of British soccer and would like to work in the Premier League again.
Swansea fired Laudrup with the team in 12th place, two points above the relegation zone after losing six of eight league games. They are now 10th, four points off relegation, with 12 games to go.
TO THE TOP: After securing the international title on Saturday, Team Taiwan were to face Las Vegas to potentially win their 18th Little League World Series championship A team from Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School won the Little League Baseball World Series’ international title on Saturday by defeating Aruba 1-0 in the annual baseball tournament held in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. The Taiwan team, competing under the name Chinese Taipei, were after press time last night to face a team from Las Vegas, Nevada, which beat a team from Fairfield, Connecticut, in the US championship 8-2. Taiwan are seeking to win their first Little League Baseball World Series title since 1996. “Really haven’t taken a moment to data dump right now on Taiwan,” Nevada manager T.J. Fescher said. “They’re a
‘CATASTROPHE’: Despite losing several key forwards in the summer transfer window, Bayern were up 3-0 in the first half before Harry Kane scored a hat-trick in the second Harry Kane hit a hat-trick, Michael Olise a double and newcomer Luis Diaz also scored as Bayern Munich made a “statement” against RB Leipzig 6-0 at home in the Bundesliga season opener on Friday. Bayern’s big-money arrivals, all brought in from the Premier League across the past three seasons, were dominant as the Bavarians begun their title defense in style. Olise scored twice in the first half, either side of a Diaz strike. Not to be outdone, Kane scored three goals in the second half — with two assists coming from Diaz, to bring Bayern’s total to 6-0. Kane told the Bundesliga
Kevin de Bruyne is to lead SSC Napoli’s Serie A title defense today when he makes his full debut at promoted US Sassuolo, but the champions head into the new season rocked by a long-term injury to star striker Romelu Lukaku. De Bruyne was, alongside aging icon Luka Modric, the big new name to arrive in Italy this summer and fans were hoping his linkup with Belgium teammate Lukaku would push Napoli to success both at home and in their return to the UEFA Champions League. The 34-year-old has suffered from hamstring injuries which caused him to miss significant chunks of the
Marc Marquez continued his winning streak as he cruised to victory in the Hungarian GP sprint by two seconds on Saturday night to pad his championship lead. It was a seventh straight Sprint victory for the Spaniard, who has also won the last six longer Sunday grand prix races on his factory Ducati. Fabio Di Giannantonio, an Italian with the VR46 Ducati satellite team was a distant second at Balaton Park, followed by his team-mate and compatriot Franco Morbidelli third. Marquez, a six-time world champion, started the race from pole position. “I felt someone really close on the first corner, from there I