Wales coach Warren Gatland admitted he had no excuses after watching Ireland maul the two-time defending Six Nations champions at Lansdowne Road on Saturday.
The visitors suffered their worst tournament defeat since 2006 and took 56 minutes to score, with only Leigh Halfpenny’s saving them from a humiliating whitewash in a comprehensive 26-3 loss.
Defeat dealt a huge, but not fatal, blow to Wales’ hopes of becoming the first side to win three successive outright Six Nations titles.
Ireland’s tactics “surprised” Gatland, the New Zealand-born coach said, but ill discipline and a lack of effectiveness at the breakdown also cost Wales dearly.
“We were well beaten by a better team today, there’s no excuses, it was a very disappointing display from us,” said Gatland, a former Ireland coach. “We have to show some character to bounce back for the next game against France.”
Gatland had dominated much of the build-up to the game, following his decision to drop Brian O’Driscoll in the final British and Irish Lions test last year but, as expected, that had little or no impact on the on-field action.
Instead, it was Joe Schmidt’s tactics — based on predictions of bad weather that ultimately did not arrive — that was the key talking point post-match.
“They possibly surprised us and it was effective,” Gatland said, alluding to the Ireland coach’s usual fondness for open, attacking play.
“I can’t remember any occasion when they moved the ball through the backline to open us up. They kicked the leather off it, there was a lot of one-pass rugby out there, but they also dominated up front, so we have to take that on the chin,” the Scotland boos said.
Sexton punished Wales’ indiscipline in the opening 20 minutes, kicking two penalties and then causing mayhem in defense with one of many tactical kicks deep into Welsh territory.
Chris Henry’s first Irish try arrived following a planned lineout maul and Sexton’s penalties kept the scoreboard ticking over until Paddy Jackson added a second try in the dying minutes.
All eyes now turn to Twickenham, where Ireland take on England in two weeks
England coach Stuart Lancaster warned that England need to improve when they face Ireland on Feb. 22, even after watching his side revive their championship title hopes with a dominant 20-0 Calcutta Cup win away to Scotland on Saturday.
The 132nd edition of rugby union’s oldest international fixture was also one of the most lopsided, with a desperately dire Scotland failing to score a point against England for the first time since 1978.
Yet although England scored tries in Edinburgh through center Luther Burrell and full-back Mike Brown, they also botched a few potential scores in a second half where they managed just seven points.
England outside-half Owen Farrell also missed three penalties on an awkward day for goal-kickers, with Murrayfield’s already parasite-infested pitch made worse by driving rain.
“We were pleased with a lot of aspects, but are frustrated that we didn’t convert more of our opportunities because we dominated the second half,” Lancaster said.
Burrell’s try was his second in as many Tests after his debut effort in England’s 26-24 loss away to France in Paris and Lancaster was pleased by his evolving midfield partnership with Billy Twelvetrees.
However, England’s resounding win at the Calcutta Cup match was marred by tragedy after a fan died on Saturday after falling ill at Murrayfield, Scottish authorities said.
The 60-year-old man was watching the game in Edinburgh with friends when he collapsed about 15 minutes into the match.
The man was treated by paramedics and taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, where he passed away a short time later.
“Inquiries are still ongoing but it is believed there are no suspicious circumstances,” Police Scotland said in a statement.
“We are extremely saddened to hear of the death of a supporter who attended today’s Calcutta Cup match,” Scottish Rugby Union president Donald MacLeod said. “We extend our deepest sympathy to the gentleman’s family and friends and we are standing by to support in any way we can.”
‘GREAT EVENING‘: In the women’s singles in Rome, Simona Halep and Karolina Pliskova advanced, while Rafael Nadal swept into the quarters in the men’s singles Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Friday had to dig deep to advance to the semi-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. The top seeds, who did not drop a game in their opening match on the clay courts at the Foro Italico, battled to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 victory over sixth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Katerina Siniakova in 1 hour, 39 minutes. The reigning Wimbledon champions saved nine of 11 break points and converted three of eight, winning 56 percent of points on their second serve and sending down two aces
KEY GOAL: Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei is now free to focus on taking her fourth doubles title of the year with Barbora Strycova; they are due to face Nao Hibino and Makoto Ninomiya Taiwanese No. 1 Hsieh Su-wei on Monday returned to the court for the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic shut down the WTA Tour, falling to a 6-3, 6-1 defeat to US Open quarter-finalist Elise Mertens, who made a solid transition from the hard courts in New York to the clay at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. “I’m not sure how well I adapted, to be honest,” Mertens told the WTA Web site. “I just feel like I might still be struggling a little. It was also [Hsieh’s] first match of the week, so that was a bit of an
’SO CONSISTENT’: The victory gave the world No. 1 and world No. 2 a 21-1 win-loss record and their fourth title of the season after successes in Brisbane, Dubai and Doha Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Sunday cruised to their fourth women’s doubles title of the season at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome in their first tournament back since the suspension of the WTA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The top seeds took just 63 minutes to complete a comprehensive 6-2, 6-2 victory over unseeded German-Romanian duo Anna-Lena Friedsam and Raluca Olaru at the Foro Italico. It was the Taiwanese-Czech pairing’s first outing since they won the Qatar Open in February. “After five months, you don’t know what to expect,” Strycova told the WTA Web site.
‘FUN TIME’: Denver’s Nikola Jokic said that his team would not accept that anyone else is better than them and the opposition need to play much better than they do Just about everyone had LA versus LA written in for the NBA’s Western Conference finals, but the resilient Denver Nuggets have crashed the party. Behind Jamal Murray and Nikola Jokic, the Nuggets advanced to the conference finals for the first time since 2009 to face LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers. Game 1 is scheduled to be played tomorrow. This was no ordinary road. The Nuggets fell behind 3-1 in their first-round series against the Utah Jazz before bouncing back with three straight victories. Then they went down 3-1 to the Los Angeles Clippers in the second round before winning in Game 7