Sun, Jan 26, 2014 - Page 18 News List

SPORTS BRIEFS

Agencies

FORMULA ONE

Ferrari fans lock onto ‘F14 T’

Ferrari’s 2014 F1 car will be called the F14 T after an online poll of fans, the Italian team said on Friday. Ferrari said 1,123,741 votes were cast from 208 countries — including Palau, Greenland and Equatorial Guinea — between Jan. 15 and Thursday, with the winning designation beating F166 Turbo by just 19,104. Fans chose from among five names. “It’s nice to know the name of the car has been chosen by our fans,” team principal Stefano Domenicali told Ferrari.com. “The amazing number of votes shows just how popular Ferrari has always been and this will be, as always, a further impetus for us to do well this year.” Ferrari has a lineup of champions this season with Finland’s 2007 champion Kimi Raikkonen returning to Maranello from Lotus as teammate to Spain’s double champion Fernando Alonso.

FORMULA ONE

Mosley wins photo court case

A German court in Hamburg ruled on Friday that Google must block photos of a sadomasochistic orgy involving former Formula One boss Max Mosley, 73. The court said the six images taken from a video of the orgy that was filmed by Britain’s now defunct News of the World tabloid seriously breached Mosley’s privacy. Google must prevent the pictures being shown on its German-based google.de site, including via links on its search engine, the court ruled. This ruling is the latest of a string of legal battles waged by Mosley related to the publication of the video and a 2008 article published by the Rupert Murdoch-owned British newspaper alleging the event was a Nazi-themed orgy. Mosley successfully took the newspaper publisher to court over the Nazi claim, winning £60,000 (US$99,000) in damages when the judge ruled there was no Nazi element. In November last year, a French court also ordered Google to prevent its search engine from providing links to images of the orgy, prompting the US company to immediately announce it would appeal.

BOXING

Froch-Groves rematch called

In London, boxing promoter Eddie Hearn says the IBF has ordered a rematch between Carl Froch and George Groves following their controversial super middleweight title fight in November last year. Froch retained his WBA and IBF titles with a ninth-round stoppage against Groves in Manchester on Nov. 23. Groves launched an appeal, saying referee Howard Foster stopped the all-British fight prematurely. Hearn told The Associated Press on Friday that Groves has been successful with his appeal and that the IBF has ordered a rematch within 90 days. Froch could forfeit his IBF belt and take on former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr of Mexico in Las Vegas instead.

FOOTBALL

NFL fines Richard Sherman

The NFL slapped Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman with a nearly US$8,000 fine on Friday for “taunting” the San Francisco 49ers during the NFC championship game. Sherman was assessed a 10-yard penalty near the end of the game on Sunday last week for making a choking gesture toward the San Francisco sideline. Sherman said it was directed at 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. After reviewing the incident, the league’s disciplinary committee decided to fine Sherman a total of US$7,875 for unsportsmanlike conduct and taunting. After the game, Sherman launched into a verbal tirade that went viral in which he slammed 49ers receiver Crabtree.

This story has been viewed 788 times.
TOP top