Philippine authorities demanded yesterday that boxing great Manny Pacquiao pay a US$50 million tax bill or risk having his assets seized, but the national hero vowed to take the fight to court.
The battle between one of the best boxers in history and the taxman has shocked Pacquiao’s army of fans in the Philippines, emerging just days after a comeback win in the ring was hailed as a moment of hope amid the aftermath of a deadly super typhoon.
Pacquiao disclosed on Tuesday that the Philippine Bureau of Internal Revenue wanted 2.2 billion pesos (US$50.2 million) for alleged unpaid taxes in 2008 and 2009, when he was at the peak of his career and one of the world’s highest-earning athletes.
Pacquiao, 34, insisted he had paid his taxes in the US and so did not need to do so in the Philippines because the two countries have an agreement allowing their citizens to avoid double taxation, but Philippine Tax Commissioner Kim Henares, who has spearheaded a high-profile campaign against tax evasion, stood firm yesterday, saying Pacquiao had failed for two years to provide documents proving his US payments.
“2.2 billion [pesos] is what Pacquiao owes now because of surcharges and interest,” Henares said on ABS-CBN television.
Henares said the tax bill may be cut if Pacquiao does provide certified documents proving he paid the US Internal Revenue Service.
“What we want is evidence that he [Pacquiao] actually paid the tax,” Henares said.
However, she said that even if Pacquiao had paid the 30 percent tax rate in the US, there would still be extra charges due in the Philippines because it has a higher rate of 32 percent.
The tax office has frozen Pacquiao’s bank accounts in the Philippines, which the boxer said had left him financially paralyzed.
Henares said the tax office could eventually take the money owed by stripping Pacquiao of his assets.
She said the tax office had already placed a “lien” on a Pacquiao property, worth millions of dollars, in one of Manila’s most exclusive gated communities.
A lien is a form of security which allows the tax office to take back money it is owed, via lease payments or sale of the property.
Pacquiao went on a publicity blitz on Tuesday night, appearing on all the major domestic television networks, to insist on his innocence and brand the tax office’s actions “harassment.”
“I am not a criminal or a thief. I am not hiding anything. I will face my problems as they come,” Pacquiao said.
Pacquiao’s US promoter Bob Arum also released a statement saying his Top Rank firm had paid the 30 percent taxes directly to the US Internal Revenue Service and certified paperwork to show proof would be available “very soon.”
However, Pacquiao’s Manila lawyer said yesterday that he would not give the tax office those documents, preferring instead to fight the issue in court.
“This is no longer within the jurisdiction of the BIR [Bureau of Internal Revenue],” lawyer Tranquil Salvador said. “The tax case is now with the court of tax appeals. We do not have to submit anything to the BIR.”
A court hearing has been set for Dec. 5.
Pacquiao, a former street kid who did not finish high school, has used his sporting career to launch a successful political career — he is a second-term congressman with publicly declared ambitions of eventually becoming president.
Pacquiao, a member of the main opposition alliance to Philippine President Benigno Aquino III, hinted the case against him may be political, calling for those involved to “forget about playing politics.”
At his peak Pacquiao was regarded as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, becoming the only man to win world titles in eight weight divisions.
He lost two fights last year, leading some to predict his career was finished, but a convincing win over Brandon Rios of the US in Macau on Sunday reignited his career, sparking talk once again of a long-awaited bout against Floyd Mayweather Jr.
DECREASED TENSION: The US players’ lawyers said that the soccer federation no longer disputes that the jobs of the women’s and men’s national teams require equal skill Women players suing the US Soccer Federation (USSF) said in in court documents filed on Tuesday that the federation has acknowledged that the jobs of male and female soccer players require equal skill. The language seemed to signal a decrease in tension between the parties after language in documents filed by the federation’s lawyers earlier last month provoked widespread outrage in saying that playing on the men’s national team required a higher level of skill based on speed and strength and carried greater responsibility. The fierce backlash — not only from the women players, but also from sponsors such as Coca-Cola —
A businessman who received millions of dollars for his work on Tokyo’s successful campaign to host the 2020 Olympic Games has said that he played a key role in securing the support of a former Olympics powerbroker suspected by French prosecutors of taking bribes to help Japan’s bid. Haruyuki Takahashi, a former executive at the advertising agency Dentsu, was paid US$8.2 million by the committee that spearheaded Tokyo’s bid for the 2020 Games, financial records showed. Takahashi said the work included lobbying International Olympic Committee (IOC) members such as Lamine Diack, the ex-Olympics powerbroker, and that he gave Diack gifts, including digital
Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are planning to play a charity golf match next month with Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, CNBC reported on Wednesday. CNBC, which cited an unnamed person familiar with the negotiations, said that the charity match would be held at an undisclosed location without fans and is being organized by the PGA Tour and AT&T’s WarnerMedia. The negotiations are still being finalized, but the match pitting 15-time major champion Woods and Manning against five-time major winner Mickelson and Brady could be aired on live TV and is unlikely to be featured on pay-per-view, CNBC said. “Discussions
WAIT AND SEE: The estimated cost of postponement started at US$2 billion and has kept rising, but the IOC has yet to say whether it would help pay for the extra expenses Postponing the Tokyo Olympics to next year would make the event more costly for all parties, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) acknowledged on Thursday, although it offered few details on what the final bill might be. Four directors of the Olympic body held a conference call three days after Tokyo’s new dates were finalized, with the Games pushed back to July 23 to Aug. 8 next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the new dates cleared up any uncertainty about the event’s future, there are still plenty of question marks as the committee begins to work with Tokyo organizers and the