England held Australia to a slender first-innings lead of 32 runs to leave the fourth Ashes Test at Chester-le-Street intriguingly poised on yesterday’s third day.
At lunch, England were 24 for one in their second innings, eight runs behind, with captain Alastair Cook and Jonathan Trott unbeaten on 17 and five respectively, after Ryan Harris clean bowled Joe Root (two) with a superb seaming delivery that clipped the top of off stump.
England, who at 2-0 up in the five-match series had already retained the Ashes following the drawn third Test at Old Trafford, dismissed Australia for 270 earlier yesterday after they added 48 runs to their overnight 222 for five.
Australia resumed with opener Chris Rogers 101 not out, following the 35-year-old left-handed opener’s painstaking maiden Test hundred on Saturday, made in the face of superb seam bowling from Stuart Broad, who finished the innings with five wickets for 71 runs in 24.3 overs.
Brad Haddin added just one to his overnight 12 before he played back to off-spinner Graeme Swann, bowling from around the wicket, and was LBW to a delivery that hit him in front of middle stump.
Haddin reviewed, but with DRS indicating neither an edge nor that the ball had pitched outside leg stump, New Zealand umpire Tony Hill’s decision was upheld and England had a wicket before the new ball with Australia on 224 for six in the 76th over.
Swann then made it two for six in 10 balls when Rogers, pushing forward defensively, was brilliantly caught one-handed off glove and pad for 110 by wicketkeeper Matt Prior, diving in front of the stumps.
Hill originally ruled not out, but England overturned his decision on review and Rogers, who batted for nearly six hours, was out having faced 225 balls with 14 boundaries.
Cook took the new ball as soon as possible, with Australia two behind at 236 for seven off 80 overs, and then, at first slip, held a low catch to dismiss Peter Siddle off James Anderson, who then had Nathan Lyon LBW.
Broad had the ninth five-wicket haul of his 61-Test career when he ended the innings by having Harris out LBW on review with Hill, somewhat comically, reversing his signal with no players in front of him as they headed to the changing rooms.
The NBA said was re-evaluating its training program in China following allegations of abuse of young players by local staff and harassment of foreign staffers at a facility in Xinjiang. The comments come after a report by ESPN that quoted unnamed American coaches as saying that Chinese coaches hit young players. One American coach who worked at a camp in Xinjiang complained of harassment by local police, the sports network said. “The allegations in the ESPN article are disturbing,” NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum said in an e-mail statement on Thursday. “We ended our involvement with the basketball academy in Xinjiang in June
Coming from the business world, New York Liberty owner Joe Tsai (蔡崇信) did not understand why his WNBA franchise did not have a chief executive officer similar to the team’s NBA counterpart the Brooklyn Nets, which Tsai also owns. For Tsai, it was about equality, so he did something about it. The 56-year-old Taipei-born billionaire businessman and philanthropist promoted Keia Clarke to the position last week — making her the first chief executive officer in the team’s history. The WNBA veteran became the third black woman to currently be in charge of a franchise in the league, joining Los Angeles Sparks president
LEAVING IT LATE: Rakuten added late runs last night to add to wins on Wednesday against the Brothers and the Lions on Friday that went down to the last batter The Rakuten Monkeys rallied to post three late runs for another close win, prevailing 5-3 over the Uni-President Lions yesterday as Taiwan’s second-half CPBL season got started with lower scoring output, but exciting finishes. It was Rakuten’s third win in a row. In two games this week, they seized victory in dramatic fashion with their last at-bat and have drawn level with the CTBC Brothers on top of the table after yesterday’s results, 0.5 games in front of the Fubon Guardians and 1.5 games ahead of the Lions. It was tied at 1-1 early, with Rakuten hosting the Lions at the Taoyuan Intenational
MONEY MATTERS: While COVID-19 played a major role in the decision, the CTBA also found it hard to secure sponsorship, and ticket sales would have been affected The Yonex Taipei Open badminton tournament has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and a funding shortfall, the CTBA said yesterday. This was the first time that the tournament, a Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour Super 300-level competition, has been canceled since it began in 1980. The Taipei Open has been held annually since 1980. The tournament was to be played at the Taipei Arena from Sept. 1 to Sept. 6, with total prize money of US$500,000. The CTBA said that it was deeply concerned about whether the Taipei Open would proceed as scheduled after the BWF announced changes