Manchester United have rejected a second bid from Premier League rivals Chelsea for unsettled England forward Wayne Rooney, United confirmed on Monday.
Chelsea made an offer thought to be about ￡25 million (US$38.5 million), but it was immediately rejected.
“A bid was received yesterday and immediately rejected. Our position remains that he is not for sale,” a United spokesman said.
The second bid and United’s swift response could prompt Rooney to hand in an official transfer request.
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has made the 27-year-old his top transfer target, but United have had trouble signing other players this summer and have been frustrated in their pursuit of Barcelona’s Cesc Fabregas.
United manager David Moyes has said that Rooney is not for sale. Rooney is believed to be unhappy at Moyes’ remarks that he would effectively have to be understudy to main striker Robin van Persie.
United later announced that Rooney would not travel to Sweden for yesterday’s friendly against AIK Fotboll.
The striker injured his shoulder in Saturday’s behind-closed-doors game against Real Betis Balompie, the club said.
It is the second injury to have affected Rooney in pre-season after he flew home from Thailand early last month with a hamstring problem, but Moyes insisted Rooney’s injury was not serious and the former Everton player could yet return in Rio Ferdinand’s testimonial on Friday or the Community Shield against Wigan Athletic at Wembley on Sunday.
“Wayne hurt his shoulder in a fall during a match on Saturday,” Moyes told United’s Web site.
“I’m disappointed he’s missing the game because we were keen to get him back involved and ready to play,” he added.
Meanwhile, United’s pursuit of Spain international Fabregas appears to have stalled, with Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta claiming the champions have accepted he is staying at the Camp Nou.
“I don’t know what’s happening, we just listen to the news and read everything online, and wait and see,” United defender Ferdinand said. “Any quality player that comes to Manchester United is welcomed with open arms and he is a quality player.”
A businessman who received millions of dollars for his work on Tokyo’s successful campaign to host the 2020 Olympic Games has said that he played a key role in securing the support of a former Olympics powerbroker suspected by French prosecutors of taking bribes to help Japan’s bid. Haruyuki Takahashi, a former executive at the advertising agency Dentsu, was paid US$8.2 million by the committee that spearheaded Tokyo’s bid for the 2020 Games, financial records showed. Takahashi said the work included lobbying International Olympic Committee (IOC) members such as Lamine Diack, the ex-Olympics powerbroker, and that he gave Diack gifts, including digital
If British industry succeeds in saving lives during the COVID-19 pandemic, it would in part be thanks to the pioneering role played by Formula One (F1) racing teams in the country. Seven of F1’s 10 teams have joined forces with leading aerospace and engineering firms to ramp up production of ventilators, while Mercedes has also worked with medics and academics to produce an alternative breathing aid. Normally obsessed with improving the performance of cars that race at more than 320kph, the teams are stripping back lifesaving devices and using computer simulation to test whether more simplified models can be mass produced. The seven
BITING THE BULLET: Barcelona’s Lionel Messi said that top players would make contributions so that the club’s employees can collect 100 percent of their salary Three-quarters of Rugby Australia’s staff were temporarily laid off yesterday amid huge financial losses from the sport’s coronavirus-enforced shutdown, while Lionel Messi confirmed on Monday that Barcelona’s players would take a 70 percent pay cut to ensure that the club’s other employees are paid. The cuts to rugby staff were “the toughest decision in the game’s history,” governing body CEO Raelene Castle said. “Although extremely painful, they are necessary to ensure ... we are able to come out the other side of this global crisis, fully operational and ready to throw everything into the rebuild.” The sport has been hit hard by
After the University of Michigan lost to Ohio State University in the semi-finals of the women’s NCAA Big Ten Tournament, Michigan Wolverines coach Kim Barnes Arico and her staff hit the road, where they intended to take advantage of a full week off before the NCAA Tournament by visiting as many potential recruits as possible. “That was our window. You get to go to someone’s home. That helps you build relationships. Helps build so many things,” Barnes Arico said. “We had all these things scheduled until we went to see high-school championships.” Of course, the championships were canceled, as was the NCAA