Sun, Jun 30, 2013 - Page 18 News List

Rory McIlroy fails again, misses cut at Irish Open

AFP, MAYNOOTH, Ireland

World No. 2 Rory McIlroy’s troubles with his driver continued as he failed to make the cut in the Irish Open at Carton House on Friday.

McIlroy continues to struggle with the driver, revealing he will meet Nike technical staff again next week, before the British Open at Muirfield.

The 24-year posted a second-round 72 for a two-over par tally to miss the cut by two shots in windy and overcast conditions.

In 43 stroke-play rounds this year on either the European or PGA Tours, McIlroy has only managed to break 70 on 11 occasions.

“I am spending more time with Nike’s technical staff as this was a new driver I had in the bag this week, but it still wasn’t 100 percent what I want,” he said. “So I am testing with them again next week. I am still confident in my ability to hit the golf ball and hit good shots, but then confidence comes from hitting good shots and seeing the ball go in the hole, and shooting good rounds and posting good results. I guess in that way the results are not great, but from being on the golf course and seeing some good shots today, I am definitely more positive now than this time yesterday.”

And unlike earlier this year, when McIlroy added the Valero Texas Open in the week prior to the Masters, McIlroy will not be tempted to add either next week’s French Open or the following week’s Scottish Open to his schedule.

“I have a couple of commitments, including my cousin’s wedding next weekend, and then I’m planning to play a first practice round at Muirfield next Monday week, and the start of the week before The Open week,” he said. “If I didn’t have these couple of things to do, then I would probably add a tournament, but I just need to find a little consistency in my ball-striking. I hit quite a few good shots out there, but there are a few bad ones in there and it’s those bad ones that are costing me, and I wasn’t sharp enough around the greens. I was confident when I played in San Antonio because I found something on the range on the Friday night and had a really good weekend that gave me a lot of confidence.”

Florida’s Peter Uihlein (68) and England’s Robert Rock (66) head the 2 million euro (US$2.6 million) event on nine-under-par.

Six players — Spain’s Jose Maria Olazabal, Sweden’s Oscar Floren, Holland’s Joost Luiten, Portugal’s Ricardo Santos and Ireland’s Shane Lowry — share third place at seven under par.

This story has been viewed 874 times.
TOP top