Tue, May 07, 2013 - Page 18 News List




Galatasaray claim 19th title

Galatasaray clinched their 19th league title with a 4-2 win over Sivasspor on Sunday, crowning a successful season in which they reached the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League. Fans of the club filled the streets of Istanbul, sounding car horns, setting off flares and waving flags in the club’s red and yellow colors as they sang in the city’s squares. With two weeks remaining in the season, Galatasaray eased to victory with two goals a piece from top goalscorer Burak Yilmaz and Selcuk Inan. They now have 68 points. Istanbul rivals Fenerbahce, who have won the title 18 times, slumped to a 2-0 defeat at Istanbul Buyuksehir Belediyespor, leaving them 10 points adrift of the leaders and just three points ahead of Besiktas JK. Coach Fatih Terim, in his third spell in charge of Galatasaray, retained the title after strengthening his squad with the signings of Didier Drogba and Wesley Sneijder earlier this year. Terim was forced to watch his team’s triumph from the stands as he is serving a nine-match ban following a spat with a referee during a league match last month. It was the sixth time that Terim had led the club to success in the league.


Copenhagen secure 10th title

Copenhagen secured a 10th title on Sunday and a place in the qualifying round of next season’s UEFA Champions League after a 0-0 draw away to bitter city rivals Brondby IF. The draw put Copenhagen on 64 points, 10 more than second-placed Nordsjaelland, who drew 2-2 with Silkeborg IF on Friday, with three rounds of matches left to play. Brondby are stuck in a battle for survival at the other end of the table, following a season of poor performances on the pitch and a desperate financial struggle to survive off it.


Honefoss fine their ’keeper

Honefoss BK fined their own goalkeeper Steve Clark for taunting opponents from a lower-division club during a penalty shootout. Clark’s side were held to a 1-1 draw by second-tier side IF Birkebeineren in their Norwegian Cup tie on May 1, which led to the game being decided by penalties. The American goalkeeper then taunted Awat Peygembernejad and Anders Torgersen for missing their spot-kicks as Honefoss won the shootout 3-2. “Steve violated our ethical rules of conduct on this occasion and Honefoss BK does not want to be associated with this type of behavior,” the club said in a statement. “Clark would also like to apologize for his behavior, and says that the way he behaved in the game is not representative of how he wants to be perceived as a player and a person.” The statement said Clark was fined 20,000 crowns (US$3,500), which will be donated to charity.


Referee dies after punch

A longtime youth soccer official who was punched in the face by a teenage player in a match in Utah has died, the Salt Lake Unified Police Department said. The police department said in a statement that Ricardo Portillo of Salt Lake City died on Saturday night in hospital, where he had been receiving treatment since the incident in a match on April 27. Police said the 17-year-old player, who was not named because he is a juvenile, punched Portillo once in the face after receiving a yellow card. Portillo was first thought to have minor injuries, but was later found to have serious internal head injuries. The boy was arrested on April 29. He remains in a juvenile detention center and could face additional charges in the wake of Portillo’s death, police said.

This story has been viewed 1752 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top