Singh refuses drug test
Indian Olympic bronze-medalist boxer Vijender Singh has been questioned over his alleged links to a US$24 million heroin haul and has refused to give blood or hair samples, police said yesterday. Singh, who won a bronze at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, was interviewed near Chandigarh, India, on Monday evening after an alleged drug dealer arrested with the heroin named him and fellow boxer Ram Singh as “clients.” Vijender Singh, 27, who became a household name in India after winning the Olympic medal, has strongly denied any link to the drug dealer and slammed as “ridiculous” the allegations against him. Police seized 26kg of heroin worth 1.3 billion rupees (US$24 million) last week in the northern state of Punjab. The alleged dealer was arrested along with five others. Vijender Singh, himself a police officer in the neighboring state of Haryana, was questioned for close to four hours on Monday evening, according to a police statement reported by the Press Trust of India. Ram Singh, who confessed to reporters that both he and Vijender Singh had “experimented with drugs thinking they were food supplements,” has already been thrown out of a training camp for boxers in Patiala.
Phelps rules out Rio return
US swimming legend Michael Phelps said on Monday there was no chance of him coming out of retirement to compete in the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics. “I’m done, I’m done,” Phelps said after meeting children from Rio’s Rocinha favela on the sidelines of the Laureus Sports Awards. Phelps, the most decorated Olympian of all time with 22 medals, retired from swimming after bagging four golds and two silvers at last year’s London Olympics. However, the 27-year-old “Baltimore Bullet” ruled out any chance of a comeback in Rio. “It was a great race ... I look back at all I’ve got and I can truly say I’ve done everything I’ve wanted,” said Phelps, who accumulated an astonishing 18 Olympic golds in his career.
Ricky Burns faces lawsuit
WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns is facing a possible civil lawsuit after switching promoters to force the cancellation of the unification bout against IBF holder Miguel Vazquez next month. Burns was presented on Monday as the newest fighter for promoter Matchroom, causing promoter Frank Warren to claim a breach of contract and announce his intention to sue the 29-year-old Scot for “substantial damages.” “Burns is under binding promotional and management contracts,” Warren said. Burns (35-2, 10 knockouts) has not fought since retaining his belt against Kevin Mitchell in September last year, but had been due to fight Vazquez at Wembley Arena on April 20 in a postponed contest. “I just felt over the last year or so things hadn’t been working out” as “there were a few issues that needed working out,” Burns said.
Jalabert seriously injured
Former cyclist Laurent Jalabert, 44, was seriously injured in a road accident on Monday morning, French police said. Jalabert, who won the Tour of Spain in 1995 and was world time trial champion in 1997, was on his bike when he was hit by a car traveling in the opposite direction near Montauban, France. “He is not in danger,” a spokesman said. The vehicle suddenly turned left, cutting across Jalabert, who had the right of way, the police said. He suffered several fractures and was briefly unconscious when the emergency services to take him to hospital for surgery.