Tue, Aug 28, 2012 - Page 18 News List




Twente go two points clear

Twente scored three first-half goals in a 3-1 win at NEC Nijmegen to move back on top of the Dutch league on Sunday. Steve McClaren’s Twente have now taken nine points from their first three matches, leaving them two clear of a group of four teams that includes Ajax and Feyenoord. Dusan Tadic put Twente on track when he set up Luc Castaignos after 14 minutes for his first and then linked with Dmitri Bulykin, who doubled the lead with a fine header. Leroy Fer converted a penalty just before halftime to settle the match, while NEC midfielder Evander Sno scored a consolation goal 13 minutes from time. Feyenoord made sure they kept in touch following a 2-1 win away at Heracles Almelo. Fullback Daryl Janmaat opened the scoring after four minutes and on the stroke of halftime Lex Immers extended the lead. Striker Sekou Cisse missed a penalty, but Feyenoord held on despite Lerin Duarte’s 52nd-minute goal. PSV Eindhoven cruised past Groningen with a 3-1 victory that moved them to sixth with six points. Canadian Atiba Hutchinson opened proceedings on 38 minutes with a classy chip courtesy of a defense-splitting pass from Dries Mertens. Mertens and Memphis Depay added two more in the second half, before Mitchell Schet pulled one back for Groningen a minute before time.


Kuwait coach Tufegdzic shot

Police say Kuwait national soccer team coach Goran Tufegdzic has been shot in his native Serbia and is in critical condition. Police in the central town of Pozarevac said on Sunday that Tufegdzic was shot on Friday in the chest by his neighbor after an argument over a plot of land. He was taken to a Belgrade hospital in serious condition. Tufegdzic, who has worked in the Middle East for a decade, was appointed Kuwait coach in 2009. He took the team to last year’s Asian Cup and helped them win the Gulf Cup in 2010. Kuwait Football Association chairman Sheik Talal al-Sabah said he had spoken to the coach’s wife and hopes “his health improves and that his family endures this crisis.”


Official speared by javelin

A 75-year-old official was in a critical condition on Sunday after being speared through the throat by a javelin at an athletics meeting in Duesseldorf, Germany. The elderly official at the city’s Wilhelm Unger Games for young athletes is reported to have gone to measure a javelin throw, but was hit by the object as it landed, according to local media reports. Paramedics revived the victim at the scene and an emergency doctor escorted him as he was rushed to the city’s University Hospital, where he was operated on after losing a lot of blood from his main artery. A group of seven spectators in the 800-strong crowd who witnessed the accident were given counseling at the scene as police evacuated the stadium. After the accident, the meeting was immediately canceled.


Seahawks cut Terrell Owens

The Seattle Seahawks cut wide receiver Terrell Owens on Sunday, ending his comeback to the NFL before it officially began. The 38-year-old Owens had earned a one-year contract with the Seahawks after working out with the team earlier this month, setting up a return to the league for the first time since 2010, but he failed to impress during pre-season action. Owens made just two catches in two pre-season games.

This story has been viewed 1284 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top