A powerful uphill surge gave Spanish climber Dani Moreno victory on stage 2 of the Criterium du Dauphine on Tuesday, while Britain’s Bradley Wiggins repelled some late challenges to maintain his narrow overall lead.
Moreno moved away from the splintering peloton late on the 2.4km climb to Saint-Felicien, France, to claim his biggest victory since a mountain-top stage win in the Vuelta a Espana in September last year.
France’s Julien Simon took second place behind the Katusha rider on the fast-paced, sinuous 160km stage through the verdant Ardeche hills, with Frenchman Tony Gallopin finishing third.
“I attacked with 200m to go and could stay away, it wasn’t so complicated,” Moreno told reporters. “I knew this kind of finish suited me, so even if other people didn’t consider me the favorite, I did. Together with my victory in the Vuelta and the win in the Tour of Piamonte [last year], this is one of the three most important wins of my career.”
Moreno’s role is usually that of key wingman for Spanish stage race specialist and Katusha teammate Joaquim Rodriguez, recently runner-up in the Giro d’Italia, but with Rodriguez, a double Criterium du Dauphin stage winner last year, making a late decision not to race, Moreno has had more freedom to strike out in his own right.
“It was a very difficult finish, everybody was getting nervous on the downhill before this little climb, but I knew I could have a chance here,” Moreno said.
Ninth on the stage, defending champion Wiggins remains the overall leader, with Australian Cadel Evans in second and Andrej Grivko of Ukraine third.
Keen to repeat his victory on the first stage, Evans’ BMC squad kept the pace on the fast, sweeping descent that precedes the final climb.
First the Australian and then world time trial champion Tony Martin steadily upped the pace at the front of the peloton on the last steady, shallow ascent, but Wiggins was more than able to handle the change of rhythm.
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker found himself in need of an assist to help the state fight the COVID-19 pandemic. He called on the New England Patriots. One of the team’s private airplanes on Thursday evening landed in Boston after returning from China carrying more than 1 million masks critical to healthcare providers fighting to control the spread of the coronavirus. Members of the Massachusetts National Guard met the airplane and offloaded the containers of masks onto waiting trucks for transport to warehouses for distribution. Baker secured the N95 masks from Chinese manufacturers, but had no way of getting them to the US. He
WAIT AND SEE: The estimated cost of postponement started at US$2 billion and has kept rising, but the IOC has yet to say whether it would help pay for the extra expenses Postponing the Tokyo Olympics to next year would make the event more costly for all parties, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) acknowledged on Thursday, although it offered few details on what the final bill might be. Four directors of the Olympic body held a conference call three days after Tokyo’s new dates were finalized, with the Games pushed back to July 23 to Aug. 8 next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the new dates cleared up any uncertainty about the event’s future, there are still plenty of question marks as the committee begins to work with Tokyo organizers and the
MEDIA RUMORS? With no pay agreement secured and players’ representatives calling for more financial information ahead of talks, the sport had another week of bad press Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle could be sacked in a matter of days, media reported yesterday, as the embattled governing body struggles to deal with a financial crisis compounded by a shutdown amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Castle this week took a 50 percent pay cut and laid off 75 percent of Rugby Australia (RA) staff members, saying that the body would face losses of up to A$120 million (US$71.95 million) if no more rugby was played this year. With no pay agreement secured with the players and their representatives calling on RA to provide more financial information ahead of negotiations, the
Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are planning to play a charity golf match next month with Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, CNBC reported on Wednesday. CNBC, which cited an unnamed person familiar with the negotiations, said that the charity match would be held at an undisclosed location without fans and is being organized by the PGA Tour and AT&T’s WarnerMedia. The negotiations are still being finalized, but the match pitting 15-time major champion Woods and Manning against five-time major winner Mickelson and Brady could be aired on live TV and is unlikely to be featured on pay-per-view, CNBC said. “Discussions