Sun, Apr 15, 2012 - Page 19 News List

Late Carroll strike sinks Everton

LACKLUSTER START:Liverpool got off to a slow start, with Everton taking the lead in the first half and mopping up Liverpool’s attacks, but the team came back to win 2-1

AFP, London

Andy Carroll scored a dramatic late winner as Liverpool came from behind to defeat Merseyside rivals Everton 2-1 to reach the FA Cup final at Wembley in London yesterday.

Carroll glanced in a Craig Bellamy free-kick in the 87th minute to keep Liverpool on course for a domestic cup double.

Liverpool had started well, with Glen Johnson surging forward menacingly after only three minutes to release Carroll.

The pony-tailed striker cut back deftly to Jay Spearing, but the young midfielder should have done better than a shot that flew harmlessly over.

Liverpool’s chances thereafter were few and far between, and while Kenny Dalglish’s side often advanced into good attacking positions, their forays invariably fizzled out because of poor play in the final third.

Everton looked comfortable throughout the first period, mopping up Liverpool’s attacks with ease and probing for openings. On 24 minutes, Liverpool were made to pay for their lackluster opening as Jelavic pounced for a goal.

Daniel Agger dithered over a clearance inside the area before Jamie Carragher attempted to scramble the ball to safety. Carragher’s intervention cannoned back off Tim Cahill and into the path of Jelavic, who finished coolly to send the blue half of Wembley into raptures.

However, the anticipated response from Liverpool never came, and they struggled to test Everton through the remainder of the half, with an off-target long-range Steven Gerrard effort on 37 minutes their only attempt on goal.

It was a different story after the break, as Liverpool started with far more purpose. Indeed they should have leveled on 47 minutes, only for Carroll to send a downward header yards wide after a perfect cross from Stewart Downing.

Carroll buried his head in his shirt, while Dalglish clutched his hands to his face in disbelief — a response mirrored up in the stands by Liverpool’s legendary No. 9 from the 1980s, Ian Rush.

However, just when it seemed Everton had withstood the early onslaught, Liverpool drew level on 62 minutes. Sylvain Distin underhit his backpass to Tim Howard and Suarez raced through on goal before poking his finish under the US goalkeeper.

The relief coursed through Liverpool’s massed ranks of fans and they looked by far the likeliest side to score for the remainder of the game.

Carroll should have done better, but dragged a low shot wide on 78 minutes, while at the other end Jelavic briefly raised Everton hopes when his shot flew into the side netting.

Then with extra-time looming, Everton’s substitute brought down Gerrard wide on the left flank. Liverpool substitute Bellamy, who had only been on the pitch a matter of minutes, chipped in a perfectly flighted effort and Carroll outjumped Jelavic and Marouane Fellaini to glance home.

This story has been viewed 1886 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top