Six of Spain’s top-flight clubs have broken ranks and filed a legal challenge aimed at stopping the professional soccer league (LFP) from postponing a round of matches next month over a dispute with the government.
The LFP wants Spain’s Socialist administration to scrap a rule that one La Liga game per matchday should be shown on free television, arguing the move would strengthen clubs’ bargaining power in negotiations on audiovisual rights with media firms.
It also wants guarantees about how much cash it is entitled to receive from betting and lottery revenue.
The league, which represents first and second division clubs, has the backing of the Spanish soccer federation, but six of 20 clubs in the first division — Sevilla, Villarreal, Athletic Bilbao, Espanyol, Real Zaragoza and Real Sociedad — filed a legal challenge in a Madrid court on Wednesday in an attempt to block the postponement.
The six oppose the LFP because they believe a strike would be “disproportionate, inopportune, against the interest of clubs, the competition and supporters and, what’s more, against the law,” Sevilla said on their Web site.
“It’s not the right moment, politically speaking, to make these demands and, what’s more, it should not be the fans who pay the price,” Sevilla president Jose Maria del Nido was quoted as saying in local media.
On the weekend under threat, April 2 and April 3, Sevilla are to host Zaragoza, while La Liga leaders Barcelona are to play at third-place Villarreal and second-placed Real Madrid host Sporting Gijon, who are ranked 15th.
The LFP said on Tuesday the latest talks between league officials, the government and parliamentary groups had failed to produce any progress and it stood by its decision to strike.
The league has said the free game will not necessarily be dropped, but it wants the obligation to show it removed.
An LFP spokesman said on Wednesday it respected the position of each of its members, but would stick to the decision taken at a meeting last month to postpone games unless the government backs down.
Jaime Lissavetzky, secretary of state for sport, appealed for “common sense” and said a television media law had been voted through a year ago without any of the political groups raising objections.
Speaking at an event in Madrid on Wednesday, he said he was “ready to listen and talk” to try to resolve the dispute.
Villarreal president Fernando Roig expressed support for the league’s bid to get the free TV rule lifted, but said a strike was the wrong way to go about it, especially at a time when the Spanish economy was struggling.
“It is not a good thing given what this country is going through at the moment for management to go on strike,” Roig said on the club’s Web site.
“I agree that the best way forward is through dialogue,” he added. “I do not agree that the right path is a postponement.”
According to Sevilla and Villarreal, if next weekend’s games are postponed, they would be played on June 11 and June 12, three weeks after the scheduled end of the season.
“If that happens I believe the final weeks of the league will be an authentic disaster,” Roig said. “It seems to me a monstrosity and something that would cause a great deal of damage to the competition.”
KEY GOAL: Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei is now free to focus on taking her fourth doubles title of the year with Barbora Strycova; they are due to face Nao Hibino and Makoto Ninomiya Taiwanese No. 1 Hsieh Su-wei on Monday returned to the court for the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic shut down the WTA Tour, falling to a 6-3, 6-1 defeat to US Open quarter-finalist Elise Mertens, who made a solid transition from the hard courts in New York to the clay at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. “I’m not sure how well I adapted, to be honest,” Mertens told the WTA Web site. “I just feel like I might still be struggling a little. It was also [Hsieh’s] first match of the week, so that was a bit of an
‘GREAT EVENING‘: In the women’s singles in Rome, Simona Halep and Karolina Pliskova advanced, while Rafael Nadal swept into the quarters in the men’s singles Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Friday had to dig deep to advance to the semi-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. The top seeds, who did not drop a game in their opening match on the clay courts at the Foro Italico, battled to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 victory over sixth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Katerina Siniakova in 1 hour, 39 minutes. The reigning Wimbledon champions saved nine of 11 break points and converted three of eight, winning 56 percent of points on their second serve and sending down two aces
‘FUN TIME’: Denver’s Nikola Jokic said that his team would not accept that anyone else is better than them and the opposition need to play much better than they do Just about everyone had LA versus LA written in for the NBA’s Western Conference finals, but the resilient Denver Nuggets have crashed the party. Behind Jamal Murray and Nikola Jokic, the Nuggets advanced to the conference finals for the first time since 2009 to face LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers. Game 1 is scheduled to be played tomorrow. This was no ordinary road. The Nuggets fell behind 3-1 in their first-round series against the Utah Jazz before bouncing back with three straight victories. Then they went down 3-1 to the Los Angeles Clippers in the second round before winning in Game 7
Neymar on Sunday claimed that he had been the victim of racism as he was one of five players sent off in a mass brawl at the end of Olympique de Marseille’s 1-0 win over Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain. PSG’s Brazilian star appeared to accuse Alvaro Gonzalez of calling him a “monkey” in a series of furious tweets after he was sent off in stoppage-time for slapping the Marseille defender on the back of the head. “Look at the racism. That’s why I hit him,” Neymar, who was returning from COVID-19 quarantine, said as he left the pitch. “The only regret I