Sun, Apr 11, 2010 - Page 20 News List

SUPER 14: Brumbies stomp Cheetahs

AMATEURISH FUNThe helter-skelter game between the Western Force and the Highlanders posed an entertaining spectacle, but the standard of play was never very good


The ACT Brumbies scored six second-half tries and dominated possession throughout to beat South Africa’s Cheetahs 61-15 in a Super 14 rugby match yesterday.

The Brumbies improved to 6-2 and stayed with two points of a semi-final spot, while the Cheetahs dropped to 2-6.

Cheetahs captain and Springboks flanker Juan Smith withdrew from the match because of the death of his father in Bloemfontein.

Smith’s father, Giel, died late on Wednesday after apparently contracting a fever-related illness on his farm.

Smith had missed the Cheetahs’ previous two matches, but flew earlier in the week to Sydney to rejoin his teammates after doctors told him his father’s health was improving. The team wore black armbands yesterday in memory of Giel Smith.

The Cheetahs have never won at Canberra Stadium and the Brumbies are 5-1 against the South African side.

ACT overcame a poor start to lead 21-3 at halftime, then added a fourth try early in the second half to secure a a bonus point.

The Brumbies scored an early try by captain Stephen Hoiles, but it was not until almost 30 minutes later that the Brumbies finally added a long overdue second try through halfback Patrick Phibbs. It came after numerous attacking raids that should have delivered points came up short, either through handling errors or giving away penalties.

Despite having more than 80 percent of possession and the majority of territory in the first half, the Brumbies failed to take their chances with poor execution letting them down.

The home side scored its third try three minutes before halftime through outside center Tyrone Smith.

Cheetahs lock Barend Pieterse was sent to the bin for 10 minutes midway through the first half after the visitors were penalized for repeated offside infringements.

Adriaan Strauss, the Cheetahs’ stand-in captain who scored one of their two tries, praised the home side.

“We need to get some consistency,” Strauss said. “We just defended the whole game. We can’t say much about tonight ... just give credit to the Brumbies.”

Hoiles said the Brumbies were “scrappy” at times.

“We had a lot of possession in that first half without much luck,” Hoiles said. “We played with a little more patience in the second half and it paid off.”


The Canterbury Crusaders ended the NSW Waratahs’ brief reign at the top of the Super 14 ladder when they muscled their way to a 20-13 victory in Christchurch, New Zealand, yesterday.

In a rugged war of attrition the Crusaders hit the front with 15 minutes to play and then denied the Waratahs the ball for most of the remainder of the match as they turned the game into a bruising forward battle.

The win restored the Crusaders to second on the ladder behind the Northern Bulls while the Waratahs, who hit the front last week, slipped back to third.

The match produced only one try apiece and the telling points difference came from Crusaders’ flyhalf Dan Carter.

The All Blacks pivot kicked five penalties to become the most successful points scorer in Super rugby with a career total of 1022, three more than ACT Brumbies midfielder Stirling Mortlock

From the outset, the Crusaders took charge of the scrums and built their victory around their forward domination and while they found tries hard to come by they successfully restricted the Waratahs’ scoring opportunities.

This story has been viewed 2338 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top