Thu, Mar 25, 2010 - Page 19 News List

Sports Briefs

AGENCIES

■SOCCER

Arsenal red card stands

Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen will serve a one-match suspension after the Premier League club’s appeal against a red card he received against West Ham was rejected on Tuesday. “At a Regulatory Commission hearing today, a claim for wrongful dismissal from Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen was dismissed,” a Football Association statement read. The 24-year-old Belgian international saw red in the first half of Saturday’s 2-0 win over the Hammers for a last-man challenge on striker Guillermo Franco. Second-placed Arsenal are already without Vermaelen’s injured defensive partner William Gallas for Saturday’s league match at Birmingham City.

■CRICKET

Tendulkar skips Twenty20

Sachin Tendulkar yesterday rejected a growing clamor in India to play in next month’s World Twenty20 despite enjoying prime batting form in recent months. “I will not be playing the ICC World Twenty20,” Tendulkar told the CNN-IBN news channel. “I have not played Twenty20 Internationals from 2007 onwards and I don’t think it should become an issue now.” Tendulkar, who recently became the first man to score a double-­century in one-day cricket, has played just one Twenty20 international in his 21-year, record-breaking career. The Mumbai star, who turns 37 next month, opted out of the first two T20 world championships in 2007 and last year, saying the younger members of the side were more suited for the shortest format of the game.

■SOCCER

EPL report ‘inaccurate’

Chinese digital television company Win TV described reports that it had retained the rights to broadcast the English Premier League (EPL) for another three years for US$50 million as “inaccurate” yesterday. A day earlier, Britain’s Independent newspaper reported that Win TV, a small subscriber-only service based in Shanghai, had successfully won the China rights for this year to 2013 in an article that was quickly picked up by local media. “I have nothing to inform you or to announce or to explain,” Win TV vice president Yu Liangxiao said by telephone from Shanghai. “What I can say is the online allegations are inaccurate. We are still in communication.”

■RUGBY UNION

Lauaki to play despite plea

The Waikato Chiefs have named Sione Lauaki at No. 8 to play the ACT Brumbies in Canberra tomorrow, a day after the former All Black pleaded guilty to an assault charge at a Hamilton court. The 28-year-old replaces Colin Bourke at the back of the pack as the Chiefs seek to move into playoff contention. Lauaki’s guilty plea related to an incident at a bar in Hamilton, local media reported. He will return to court in May.

■RUGBY UNION

Bastareaud signs deal

France international center Mathieu Bastareaud signed his first professional contract on Tuesday with Top 14 side Stade Francais, the club’s owner Max Guazzini said. The 21-year-old will stay at Stade for another three seasons. It caps a remarkable turnaround in the fortunes of Bastareaud — capped eight times — since his career almost came to a premature halt when it was revealed he had lied about how he had suffered facial scars on last year’s Tour of New Zealand. He claimed to have been beaten up outside the French team hotel, when in fact he had fallen over a table in his hotel room in a drunken state. This revelation led to an abject apology from the French Government to their Kiwi counterparts.

This story has been viewed 1747 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top