British rookie Rhys Davies captured his maiden European Tour title by winning the Hassan 11 Trophy on Sunday.
Welshman Davies, 24, carded a final round seven-under-par 66 to win by two strokes with a 25-under-par total, two ahead of South African Louis Oosthuizen who finished with a three-under-par 70.
Davies, who tied for third at the Malaysian Open earlier this month, joined the main Tour at the start of the season in December in South Africa.
“At this moment everything is all a big surreal,” Davies said. “I really did not think much at all out there and it was all much of a blur. I just kept focussing on hitting the ball as close to the flag as I could, and holing every putt I looked at.”
Davies began the final round two strokes behind Oosthuizen but drew level when he collected the fifth birdie of his round at the par five, 10th hole.
He went one stroke clear of his South African rival when he birdied the 11th hole before Oosthuizen got back to one in front with a 12th hole eagle.
Davies answered the challenge with a 13th hole birdie before there was a two-shot turnaround in the Welshman’s favour when he also birdied 14 and Oosthuizen dropped a shot.
Davies then pared his remaining four holes while Oosthuizen bogeyed 17 and then birdied the last for his fourth second place finish on the European Tour.
“I just felt like I could make every putt out there and that was the key to my round today,” Davies said.
“I had really good speed on the greens and when you have that you can pick your lines and that’s why I felt I could hole a lot of putts,” he said.
“I struggled with my irons all day,” admitted Oosthuizen. “It just wasn’t happening for me at all with the irons.
“I didn’t put the ball close enough to the pin in order to give myself chances,” he said.
Frenchman Thomas Levet (71), Spain’s Ignacio Garrido (70), South African Thomas Aiken (71) and Finland’s Mikko Ilonen (66) shared third place on 18 under par.
The NBA said was re-evaluating its training program in China following allegations of abuse of young players by local staff and harassment of foreign staffers at a facility in Xinjiang. The comments come after a report by ESPN that quoted unnamed American coaches as saying that Chinese coaches hit young players. One American coach who worked at a camp in Xinjiang complained of harassment by local police, the sports network said. “The allegations in the ESPN article are disturbing,” NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum said in an e-mail statement on Thursday. “We ended our involvement with the basketball academy in Xinjiang in June
Coming from the business world, New York Liberty owner Joe Tsai (蔡崇信) did not understand why his WNBA franchise did not have a chief executive officer similar to the team’s NBA counterpart the Brooklyn Nets, which Tsai also owns. For Tsai, it was about equality, so he did something about it. The 56-year-old Taipei-born billionaire businessman and philanthropist promoted Keia Clarke to the position last week — making her the first chief executive officer in the team’s history. The WNBA veteran became the third black woman to currently be in charge of a franchise in the league, joining Los Angeles Sparks president
LEAVING IT LATE: Rakuten added late runs last night to add to wins on Wednesday against the Brothers and the Lions on Friday that went down to the last batter The Rakuten Monkeys rallied to post three late runs for another close win, prevailing 5-3 over the Uni-President Lions yesterday as Taiwan’s second-half CPBL season got started with lower scoring output, but exciting finishes. It was Rakuten’s third win in a row. In two games this week, they seized victory in dramatic fashion with their last at-bat and have drawn level with the CTBC Brothers on top of the table after yesterday’s results, 0.5 games in front of the Fubon Guardians and 1.5 games ahead of the Lions. It was tied at 1-1 early, with Rakuten hosting the Lions at the Taoyuan Intenational
MONEY MATTERS: While COVID-19 played a major role in the decision, the CTBA also found it hard to secure sponsorship, and ticket sales would have been affected The Yonex Taipei Open badminton tournament has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and a funding shortfall, the CTBA said yesterday. This was the first time that the tournament, a Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour Super 300-level competition, has been canceled since it began in 1980. The Taipei Open has been held annually since 1980. The tournament was to be played at the Taipei Arena from Sept. 1 to Sept. 6, with total prize money of US$500,000. The CTBA said that it was deeply concerned about whether the Taipei Open would proceed as scheduled after the BWF announced changes