Malaysian soccer officials on Monday defended their team after a scuffle at the Southeast Asian (SEA) Games that saw angry players chase the referee, who fled the pitch under police escort.
The Malaysian Under-23 players let loose after suffering a 3-1 loss to Vietnam in the Laotion capital Vientiane on Sunday — a huge setback in efforts to qualify for the semi-finals.
Malaysian and Vietnamese newspapers said the players threw bottles and chased South Korean referee Kim Jong-hyeok, who had to run to the middle of the ground to escape his pursuers.
Security forces later moved in to protect the referee and escort him off the pitch while the Malaysian players were calmed by their coach.
Malaysian officials admitted the team had behaved badly, but said they had been provoked.
“We have registered our strong protest and concern at the referee, who seemed to be unfair and biased against the Malaysian team,” said Khairy Jamaluddin, the deputy chair of the Football Association of Malaysia.
“This was the direct cause of the behavior of some of our players. Of course bad behavior can never be excused, but we were very unhappy with the quality of the refereeing,” he told reporters.
Malaysian coach K. Rajagobal also blamed the outburst on controversial decisions by Kim, including a red card for Mohamad Zaquan Adha Abdul Razak.
“The Malaysian team was always on the offensive but whenever our player was in front of the goal ... the referee would always make a call not in our favor, putting our players under stress,” he said.
The senior Malaysian national side are now ranked a lowly 152 by FIFA, having fallen steadily since the 1970s and 1980s when they regularly beat Japan and South Korea.
The country’s soccer disintegration has been blamed on poor management, cronyism, corruption, a lack of government support and the absence of any grassroots nurturing of talent.
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker found himself in need of an assist to help the state fight the COVID-19 pandemic. He called on the New England Patriots. One of the team’s private airplanes on Thursday evening landed in Boston after returning from China carrying more than 1 million masks critical to healthcare providers fighting to control the spread of the coronavirus. Members of the Massachusetts National Guard met the airplane and offloaded the containers of masks onto waiting trucks for transport to warehouses for distribution. Baker secured the N95 masks from Chinese manufacturers, but had no way of getting them to the US. He
WAIT AND SEE: The estimated cost of postponement started at US$2 billion and has kept rising, but the IOC has yet to say whether it would help pay for the extra expenses Postponing the Tokyo Olympics to next year would make the event more costly for all parties, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) acknowledged on Thursday, although it offered few details on what the final bill might be. Four directors of the Olympic body held a conference call three days after Tokyo’s new dates were finalized, with the Games pushed back to July 23 to Aug. 8 next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the new dates cleared up any uncertainty about the event’s future, there are still plenty of question marks as the committee begins to work with Tokyo organizers and the
MEDIA RUMORS? With no pay agreement secured and players’ representatives calling for more financial information ahead of talks, the sport had another week of bad press Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle could be sacked in a matter of days, media reported yesterday, as the embattled governing body struggles to deal with a financial crisis compounded by a shutdown amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Castle this week took a 50 percent pay cut and laid off 75 percent of Rugby Australia (RA) staff members, saying that the body would face losses of up to A$120 million (US$71.95 million) if no more rugby was played this year. With no pay agreement secured with the players and their representatives calling on RA to provide more financial information ahead of negotiations, the
OLYMPICS Delay pushes rower to retire British rowing gold medalist Tom Ransley on Friday announced his retirement after deciding that the postponement of the Tokyo Olympic Games to next year was a step too far. The 34-year-old was part of the men’s eight who won gold in the 2016 Rio Olympics and also a bronze in the 2012 London Games. “I have used up everything I had and I know that to get myself in the necessary condition to compete for a seat in 2021 is a step too far,” he told the BBC. The years of early starts, of three training