Former England and Manchester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson joined English Division Two club Notts County as director of soccer, the club confirmed yesterday.
The League Two (fourth division) club said the 61-year-old Swede would be joined by his long-term assistant Tord Grip, who will assume the role of general adviser.
The world’s oldest professional soccer club were recently taken over by a Middle Eastern consortium and had been in talks with Eriksson about taking up a senior position with the club.
He will look after the club’s youth academy as well as player development, transfer negotiations and building overseas links.
The Munto Finance Ltd group, reportedly backed by Dubai tycoon Abdullah Bin Saeed al Thani, made Eriksson their top target after being turned down by Glenn Hoddle.
Eriksson was approached last week and is believed to have agreed a contract worth around £2 million (US$3.3 million) a year after discussions with new County chairman Peter Trembling on Tuesday.
County’s current manager Ian McParland will remain in charge of coaching the team for the moment, but former England midfielder David Platt, who played under Eriksson at Sampdoria, has already been linked with the role.
County, founded in 1862, had an average gate of just 4,445 last season. They spent 534 days in administration between 2002 and 2003 and finished 19th in League Two last term.
But the club’s new owners hope Eriksson can take them up two divisions into the Championship within five years.
Eriksson has worked with some of world soccer’s biggest names, including David Beckham and Wayne Rooney, but now he will have to get the best out of less famous players like Graeme Lee, Ben Davies and Luke Rodgers.
His last match in English soccer was Manchester City’s 8-1 defeat at Middlesbrough in May last year and he will return to competitive action in England for County’s opening League Two match at home to Bradford on Aug. 8.
The appointment of Eriksson comes as a major surprise as the Swede has been one of the leading managers in soccer over the last two decades.
After achieving the league and cup double in Sweden, Portugal and Italy, he left Lazio to become England’s first foreign manager.
Quarter-final exits in the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004 followed, and he had already announced his departure before England’s disappointing 2006 World Cup campaign again ended in the last eight.
His single season as Manchester City manager, 2007-2008, should be seen as a success given a top half of the table finish.
‘CRIMINAL ACT’: The UCI said it ‘strongly condemns’ Dylan Groenewegen’s ‘dangerous behavior,’ which left Jakobsen in critical condition and injured other cyclists Dutch cyclist Fabio Jakobsen was in a coma on Wednesday, in “serious” condition, after he was thrown into and over a barrier at 80kph in the conclusion to the opening stage of the Tour de Pologne. Footage showed 23-year-old Jakobsen, of the Deceuninck-Quick-Step, racing elbow-to-elbow with fellow Dutchman Dylan Groenewegen of Jumbo-Visma as both men frantically tussled in a tight sprint to the line in Katowice. However, Jakobsen came off worst, somersaulting over the barriers before colliding with a photographer after Groenewegen had veered suddenly to the right, squeezing his rival into the security wall. “His condition is very serious. His life is
Growing concern over health standards in e-sports has prompted a new federation to pledge to address the problem, as players fall victim to conditions ranging from wrist injuries to obesity, stress and diabetes. The retirement of top Chinese player Jian Zihao, better known by his gaming handle “Uzi,” sent tremors through the booming sport, whose revenues are predicted to reach US$1.1 billion this year, according to industry analyst Newzoo. The 23-year-old, hailed as an “icon” of the League of Legends game, stepped away from e-sports in June, saying that “chronic stress, obesity, irregular diet, staying up late and other reasons” had given
‘COMPLICATED’: The 34-year-old from Spain called sitting out the tournament ‘a decision I never wanted to take,’ but added that he would ‘rather not travel’ Defending champion Rafael Nadal has said that he would skip the US Open because of the COVID-19 pandemic, putting on hold his bid to equal Roger Federer’s men’s record for Grand Slam titles. On Tuesday, Nadal explained his decision in a series of tweets sent in Spanish and English. “The situation is very complicated worldwide. Coronavirus cases are increasing. It looks like we still don’t have control of it,” Nadal wrote. The 34-year-old from Spain called sitting out the tournament scheduled to begin on Aug. 31 in New York “a decision I never wanted to take,” but added that he would “rather not
The Braves were dealt a double blow as the Mets’ Jacob deGrom struck out 10 in six innings to help New York snap a five-game skid with a 7-2 victory on Monday, and as Atlanta top pitcher Mike Soroka went down with a torn Achilles tendon in the third inning. “There’s no sugarcoating this night,” Atlanta slugger Freddie Freeman said. “It stinks. It really does.” Soroka crumpled to the ground on a seemingly routine play, breaking toward first to cover the bag on a grounder to Freeman’s right. “When you lose, in my mind, one of the top pitching arms in this entire