Los Angeles Galaxy have ridiculed claims from AC Milan that they are close to securing the signature of David Beckham in an interview published in Friday’s Gazzetta dello Sport.
Tim Leiweke, the chief executive of Galaxy’s owners, AEG, told the Italian sports newspaper that claims from Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani the previous day that the two sides were close to a deal were “nonsense.”
“Two weeks ago Milan made a ridiculous offer that took me just a few seconds to reject,” Leiweke said of the reported US$3 million bid.
“With this figure Galaxy wouldn’t even be able to cover the loss in revenue from shirt sales. Since then I haven’t heard a thing and no meeting has been set up,” he said.
His final point was in stark contrast to claims in the Italian press this week that a delegation from Milan will travel to the US to thrash out a deal.
Leiweke said he was growing increasingly exasperated with Milan’s behavior in a transfer saga which was originally a simple loan deal, due to end on March 9.
“I’ve decided to speak out because I’ve read too many inaccuracies,” Leiweke said. “After that ridiculous offer we’ve had no more contact from Milan. They’ve gone after other people from the League’s commissioner to David’s representatives, but not us.”
One thing is clear, though, that the 33-year-old former England captain wants to stay in Lombardy.
“I’ve said I want to stay here and obviously if I do go back it will be a bit difficult,” Beckham said following Sunday’s Milan derby.