The "cursed" 1919 contract that shipped Babe Ruth from the Boston Red Sox to the New York Yankees sold on Friday for a staggering US$996,000, auction house Sotheby's said.
"I was prepared to pay almost whatever it took," said Pete Siegel, head of New York-based Gotta Have It Collectibles, after his winning offer. "I'm not saying a billion dollars, but whatever price I needed to secure it."
The crowd at Sotheby's burst into cheers when the final hammer came down after 15 minutes of intense bidding. The five-page typed contract recorded the unprecedented deal blamed for dooming generations of Boston fans to heartbreak as victims of `"The Curse of the Bambino.'"
The price was nearly double the presale estimate for the Dec. 26, 1919, contract, signed by owners Harry Frazee of the Red Sox and Jacob Ruppert of Yankees. The paper recorded the US$100,000 sale of Ruth to the Yankees, a transaction that altered major league baseball history.
The Red Sox had won the World Series one year before peddling Ruth. They didn't win again until last year. Meanwhile, the Yankees won 26 championships.
Proceeds from the sale were donated to the hunger-relief organization America's Second Harvest, which provides food for 23 million low-income Americans each year. The contract was previously owned by Rhode Island philanthropist Alan Shawn Feinstein.
The contract fell short of the priciest bit of Babe memorabilia, a massive 1.3kg Louisville Slugger used by the Bambino to drill the first home run in Yankee Stadium history. It sold in December 2004 for US$1.26 million, the most paid for a baseball bat.
Also sold was the first ball thrown at the April 20, 1912, debut of Fenway Park, for US$132,000, more than double its presale estimate of US$50,000. The identity of the winning bidder was not released.
A London-based online gambling operation paid US$102,000 for the 700th home-run ball hit by Barry Bonds. Sportsbook.com said it intends to donate the ball to the US baseball Hall of Fame.
A baseball signed by Ruth and Yankees teammate Lou Gehrig sold for US$42,000, well above the pre-sale estimate of US$5,000.
One of the other big baseball sellers: a 1911 Honus Wagner baseball card, one of only about 50 still in existence, sold for US$132,000. While above the presale estimate, the purchase still paled next to the US$1.265 million paid for a 1909 Wagner card in July 2000.
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
Uncertainty grips next year’s postponed Tokyo Olympic Games: Will there be fans or empty stadiums in 14 months? How will thousands of athletes, staff members and technical officials travel, be housed and stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic? And the Tokyo Games are not the only event. China, where COVID-19 was first detected, is to hold three mega-sports events in the year after the Tokyo Olympics are set to close. The World University Games in Chengdu, China, are to open, with up to 8,000 athletes, only 10 days after the Tokyo Games close. Next come the Beijing Winter Olympics beginning on Feb. 4, 2022,
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I
When South Korea’s domestic women’s golf tour held its premier event last week — without spectators because of the COVID-19 pandemic — no fewer than three of the world’s top 10 players took part. The country of 52 million people has a disproportionate share of the women’s world golf rankings, providing eight of the current top 20. In a demonstration of their prominence, South Korean women have won at least one major every season since 2010, with coronavirus cancellations perhaps the biggest threat to their run this year. The phenomenon, players and commentators have said, results from driven parents, intense training, a highly