Two US track and field champions were among the first group of athletes to testify to a grand jury probing a nutritional supplements lab. \nShot putter Kevin Toth and 1,500m runner Regina Jacobs were among four track and field athletes testifying on Thursday before a grand jury probing a California lab that supplies some top athletes with nutritional supplements. The grand jury eventually expects to hear from baseball players such as Barry Bonds and Jason Giambi, several NFL football players and boxer Shane Mosley. \nJacobs and Toth have been customers of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, or BALCO, which is the target of the probe. Both also have tested positive for the new designer steroid THG that has been linked to BALCO. \n"Regina was here. She did nothing wrong," attorney Douglas Schwartz said after Jacobs had completed her afternoon testimony. "I really feel sorry for these athletes, because they've really become the victims here." \nAn appearance before the grand jury, or being subpoenaed to testify, does not imply any of the athletes is a target of the probe. Federal officials have refused to discuss the scope of the grand jury or its secret proceedings. \nBut a source familiar with Thursday's daylong proceeding said the athletes were asked whether they had taken THG or the endurance-boosting hormone EPO. \nThe source, who requested anonymity, said the athletes were asked whether they had obtained THG or EPO from BALCO. An attorney for Victor Conte, BALCO's founder, has said his client is the target of the grand jury probe and is innocent of any wrongdoing. \nThe source also said the athletes were asked whether they had knowingly purchased steroids from BALCO, or whether they thought they were buying legal nutritional supplements. \n"Did you meet Conte?" the source said the athletes were asked. "Did he tell you to be quiet?" \nJacobs and Toth were among four US athletes who tested positive for THG at the US track and field championships in June at Stanford University, according to another source close to the investigation who spoke to reporters on Thursday on condition of anonymity. \nJacobs and Schwartz refused to comment Thursday when asked outside the grand jury room whether she had tested positive for THG at that meet. Jacobs, 40, won her 12th national outdoor title in the 1,500 at Stanford. \nToth, who has the longest throw in the world this year and won his first national title in June, would not comment after his grand jury appearance.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Friday said that he had called in the “third umpire” as he announced that recreational cricket would be allowed to resume next weekend. In a radio interview earlier on Friday, Johnson angered thousands of club cricketers by saying that the amateur game was still not safe to play amid the COVID-19 pandemic because of issues surrounding communal teas and dressing rooms. “It’s the teas, it’s the changing rooms and so on and so forth. There are other factors involved that generate proximity which you might not get in a game of tennis,” he said. Johnson had already
Hong Kong media reported that police briefly detained a man in a Liverpool team jersey who shouted “long live Liverpool” during anti-government protests on Wednesday, over suspicion that he was inciting independence. In-Media reported that the man was across the street from police officers who were conducting stop-and-searches on a group of protesters, when he shouted: “Long live Liverpool.” Others reportedly cheered and joined in the chant, before officers detained him. The man told In-Media that police had accused him of inciting Hong Kong independence, which now is a punishable crime. He said that he has been a fan of the English soccer
Indian police are investigating an alleged betting scandal in which a sham cricket tournament was held in an Indian village and passed off as a Twenty20 contest played in Sri Lanka. Players portrayed as Sri Lankan cricketers played two matches on Monday last week that were broadcast with live commentary on YouTube, media reports said, along with ball-by-ball coverage on top Indian sports Web sites. The organizers hung Sri Lankan advertisements at the ground for added authenticity and put up tents to block the view from outside the remote rural venue, set in farmland next to a busy highway. Police said that they
Raptors guard Fred VanVleet is already in Florida with the rest of his Toronto teammates, and he knows the time to take a stand and counter the NBA plan to restart the season has passed, but his opinion on the matter has not changed. “It sucks,” VanVleet said on Monday in a videoconference of his choice to return to the court during the COVID-19 pandemic and Black Lives Matter campaign. “It’s terrible timing, but that’s been 2020 for us. We all know the right thing to do is to not play, to take a stand. Morally, yes, that makes sense, but