The day after the Florida Marlins beat the New York Yankees to win the 99th World Series, the attention shifted from on-field to off-field for both teams.
The Marlins will celebrate their second World Series championship in their 11-year history, but not for long as they have tough decisions to make to ensure the team does not dismantle, as was the case after their 1997 triumph.
Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, meanwhile, has already made it clear he expects better from his team next year.
Florida manager Jack McKeon, who finally picked up a World Series ring at 72, will likely be back but his team may have to change, at least a little.
"These are a great group of guys," McKeon told reporters on Sunday. "I'm not thinking about next year yet but how could anybody leave this team?"
The answer to that question is easy, though, as the Marlins have several players entering option years.
The team spent lots of money to win the championship in 1997 and then proceeded to dismantle the roster in cost-saving moves. While owner Jeffrey Loria says that will not happen this time, there will definitely be changes by next April.
Florida is expected to keep its payroll at around US$54 million next year but estimates it could cost as much as US$80 million to keep the team intact.
General manager Larry Beinfest may pass on signing deals with three players who are free agents, catcher Ivan Rodriguez, second baseman Luis Castillo and closer Ugueth Urbina.
In addition, third baseman Mike Lowell, first baseman Derrek Lee, right fielder Juan Encarnacion and starting pitcher Brad Penny, who won two games in the World Series, are eligible for arbitration.
Payroll is not a problem for the free-spending Yankees, who lavished three times as much as the Marlins (approximately US$160 million) this season.
Not winning the World Series for that kind of money, however, is a problem for Steinbrenner.
"Of course, I was disappointed, but we will be meeting soon to make whatever changes are needed to bring back a stronger, better team for New York and our fans," Steinbrenner said in a statement. "You can bet on it."
Fans and media are betting there will be changes in the front office to start with.
Bench coach Don Zimmer has already said he will not return next season and pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre says he wants time to rethink his plans.
Hitting coach Rick Down is expected to pay the price for New York's poor post-season hitting and even manager Joe Torre, who has won six pennants and four World Series in eight seasons, is not completely certain to return after several public spats with Steinbrenner this season.
The NBA said was re-evaluating its training program in China following allegations of abuse of young players by local staff and harassment of foreign staffers at a facility in Xinjiang. The comments come after a report by ESPN that quoted unnamed American coaches as saying that Chinese coaches hit young players. One American coach who worked at a camp in Xinjiang complained of harassment by local police, the sports network said. “The allegations in the ESPN article are disturbing,” NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum said in an e-mail statement on Thursday. “We ended our involvement with the basketball academy in Xinjiang in June
Coming from the business world, New York Liberty owner Joe Tsai (蔡崇信) did not understand why his WNBA franchise did not have a chief executive officer similar to the team’s NBA counterpart the Brooklyn Nets, which Tsai also owns. For Tsai, it was about equality, so he did something about it. The 56-year-old Taipei-born billionaire businessman and philanthropist promoted Keia Clarke to the position last week — making her the first chief executive officer in the team’s history. The WNBA veteran became the third black woman to currently be in charge of a franchise in the league, joining Los Angeles Sparks president
LEAVING IT LATE: Rakuten added late runs last night to add to wins on Wednesday against the Brothers and the Lions on Friday that went down to the last batter The Rakuten Monkeys rallied to post three late runs for another close win, prevailing 5-3 over the Uni-President Lions yesterday as Taiwan’s second-half CPBL season got started with lower scoring output, but exciting finishes. It was Rakuten’s third win in a row. In two games this week, they seized victory in dramatic fashion with their last at-bat and have drawn level with the CTBC Brothers on top of the table after yesterday’s results, 0.5 games in front of the Fubon Guardians and 1.5 games ahead of the Lions. It was tied at 1-1 early, with Rakuten hosting the Lions at the Taoyuan Intenational
MONEY MATTERS: While COVID-19 played a major role in the decision, the CTBA also found it hard to secure sponsorship, and ticket sales would have been affected The Yonex Taipei Open badminton tournament has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and a funding shortfall, the CTBA said yesterday. This was the first time that the tournament, a Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour Super 300-level competition, has been canceled since it began in 1980. The Taipei Open has been held annually since 1980. The tournament was to be played at the Taipei Arena from Sept. 1 to Sept. 6, with total prize money of US$500,000. The CTBA said that it was deeply concerned about whether the Taipei Open would proceed as scheduled after the BWF announced changes