Sat, Aug 23, 2003 - Page 19 News List

Springbok rejected from squad for nightclub brawl

REUTERS , DURBAN, SOUTH AFRICA

Springbok hooker Lukas van Biljon has been pulled out of South Africa's World Cup training squad following a brawl in a Durban nightclub, SA Rugby said on Friday.

Van Biljon, 27, admits that he and some friends had been involved in an altercation outside a popular beachfront nightclub in the early hours of Monday morning, but says he tried to separate his friend and another man who became involved in a fight.

"We left the club at about 2am," Van Biljon told a Durban newspaper. "My friends had had a lot to drink and an argument broke out in the car park between them and a group of youngsters.

"A fight resulted and I stepped in to break it up. My friends were the aggressors."

It was the second time in less than two months that Van Biljon has been involved in such an incident.

This story has been viewed 3200 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top