Taipei has turned into a "city of garbage" after the Taipei City Government gave residents a two-day reprieve from its official garbage collection system prior to the Chinese New Year, officials said.
Officials at the city's Bureau of Environmental Protection (環保局) yesterday said that garbage collectors picked up more than 7,110 tonnes of trash on Sunday, about four times the daily average. More than 9,073 tonnes of trash were collected on Monday, setting a new high for collections in the days prior to Chinese New Year.
Officials said that many Taipei residents did not wait until garbage collection vehicles arrived, as required by the law. Instead, they piled trash in the city's alleys and on sidewalks, making it difficult for pedestrians to pass in many places. Collection crews worked extra shifts to try to clean up the mess and garbage collection vehicles were bumper-to-bumper on their way to the municipal garbage incinerator and dumps.
PHOTO: GEORGE TSORNG, TAIPEI TIMES
Officials ordered all garbage to be collected by Tuesday at noon.
Collection crews resumed normal schedules on Tuesday, which was Chinese New Year's Eve. As much as 8,220 tonnes of garbage had been picked up by local garbage collectors on Chinese New Year's Eve, officials said.
Garbage collections ended yesterday and will not resume until Saturday.
Taipei began its new garbage collection system last July, requiring residents to buy official garbage bags and to not dump garbage at collection spots until trash crews arrive.
The volume of trash generated dropped by about 40 percent after the new system was implemented.
Taipei Mayor Ma Ying-jeou (
But perhaps Ma overestimated the public's municipal spirit; many trash collectors have been complaining of residents who let their garbage pile up for a week in order to dump it for free.
People found not using official bags or dumping bags outside specified garbage collection points will face fines of between NT$1,200 and NT$4,500.
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
HONG KONG SECURITY: The president blasted regulations requiring Taiwanese agents or political organizations to provide information on their Hong Kong-related activities President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday warned of countermeasures should controversial Chinese national security legislation imposed on Hong Kong undermine or harm Taiwanese interests. Article 43 of the legislation empowers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to serve written notices to Taiwanese political organizations or individual agents to furnish information on their Hong Kong-related activities, including their personal particulars, finances, assets, expenditure and capital in the territory. Failure to comply or providing false or incomplete information can result in a fine of HK$100,000 (US$12,903) or imprisonment of six months or two years respectively. Tsai said that Taiwan would keep a close watch on how
JUST QUESTIONS: Expelled reporter Ai Kezhu said that every member of Southeast Television had complied with the law and had not appeared on any talk shows Two Chinese reporters yesterday left Taiwan after the government revoked their accreditation and ordered them to leave amid a probe into allegations that several Chinese media outlets have set up studios and produced political talk shows in Taiwan. The two reporters — Ai Kezhu (艾珂竹) and Lu Qiang (盧薔) — worked for Fujian Province-based Southeast Television and arrived in Taiwan in December last year. The Mainland Affairs Council has launched an investigation after local media reported that Chinese broadcasters — including China Central Television, Southeast Television and FJTV — had set up studios in Taipei and produced political talk shows. Council Deputy Minister
PROBE LAUNCHED: An officer who served as a supervisor in the drill died in an apparent suicide after the accident, which was caused by unexpected waves Two marines who were on Friday injured in a military exercise in the waters off Kaohsiung passed away yesterday, Navy Command said. The marines — surnamed Tsai (蔡), 26, and a sergeant surnamed Chen (陳), 36 — were in a seven-member Marine Corps team that encountered rough seas during a simulated response to enemy forces landing on Taiwan. Their rubber craft overturned in waters off Taoziyuan (桃子園) beach in Zuoying District (左營), injuring four of the marines. They were rushed to hospital, where three of them — Tsai, Chen and a 34-year-old sergeant — were taken to an intensive care unit