Bring yourself good luck during the New Year! Want to get a good start to 2006 and make it a year of prosperity? Let us show you some easy ways to turn yourself into a master of good luck.
1. If the energy at your house is weak, you can put some fresh flowers on both sides of your front door to help strengthen its vitality.
PHOTOS: LIN WEI-YAN, TAIPEI TIMES
2. Hanging a gourd on the wall next to your front door is thought to bring wealth and fortune.
3. Place some fresh flowers right inside the entrance to your house. For example, purple orchids symbolize riches, so displaying lots of them will improve your prestige.
4. Put five small teapots on a shelf in the living room facing the door. Arrange the teapots so that the spouts are all facing the door to bring the traditional "5 kinds of good fortunes to your door."
5. If you put the teapots on a red mat and put a dragon coin in front of each one, you will find wealth wherever you turn. You can also use a NT$50 coin instead of the dragon coin.
6. Put a big, white pomelo on a mat in your living room. Write the word "you" (to have) on the bottom part of the fruit, and put it in the east to bring prosperity. If there are children in your house preparing for exams, you can put the pomelo in the south -- the direction of "Wenchang," the god of literature and scholars -- to bring them success.
7. If you want to get everything you desire during the new year, put two fresh persimmons beside a "ruyi," a kind of Chinese symbolic device. You can also display four small glass pigs to symbolize prosperity.
Translated by marc langer
In yet another case of reliance on satellite navigation leading to trouble, a 28-year-old man surnamed Lai from Miaoli County drove his girlfriend to the Lushan hot spring resort area in Nantou County’s Renai Township during the Mid-Autumn Festival long weekend. On Tuesday the couple decided to drive to Hehuanshan’s Wuling area to watch the sunrise. According to the police, the couple started out by taking the normal route of Provincial Highway 14 in the direction of Chunyang and Wushe, then turning onto Provincial Highway 14A and passing Cingjing Farm toward Hehuanshan. However, Lai was hooked up to a GPS navigation
K-pop supergroup BTS is opening its first pop-up store in Taiwan. Located in the Huashan 1914 Creative Park in Taipei, the “BTS Pop-up: Map of the Soul” store featuring over 300 BTS-themed products opened on Tuesday last week and will run until Oct. 24. Not long ago, Billboard ran a report to accuse the group’s fans, known as “ARMY,” of chart manipulation through crowdfunding efforts. In response to the chart’s accusation, group leader RM said “it’s up to them [Billboard] to change the rules. Slamming us or our fans for getting to No. 1 with physical sales and downloads, I don’t
A: Wow, look at this piece, it’s wonderful! B: Yes, it’s a very interesting composition, with a woman facing down and a deer looking out from inside her head. The antlers are fantastic. A: Look at the flowers around her, and the moon and stars in the background, the whole thing has such a dreamlike quality to it, and yet it’s also so life-like. B: Yes, the fur on the deer is so realistic. Is this a painting? A: No! This is a print, so I suppose it was engraved. B: How intriguing. How would this have been engraved? I don’t understand. Look, the artist