Pilots from China Airlines Ltd (CAL, 中華航空) remain on strike after the second round of negotiations between the pilots’ union and the airline yesterday again failed to reach a consensus on the issue of overwork, according to the Taoyuan Union of Pilots.
There was almost no common ground between the management and workers, union board director Chen Pei-pei (陳蓓蓓) said after four hours of talks mediated by the Ministry of Transportation and Communications.
“I was very surprised that CAL did not bring any new proposals to the table. They seemed to be just repeating the conclusions of our last meeting,” Chen said.
“We compromised on four points, but the airline did not make any changes to its positions,” she said.
China Airlines President Hsieh Shih-chien (謝世謙) said the company extended an olive branch by agreeing to schedule three crew members on red-eye flights of more than seven hours, but the offer was not accepted by the union.
China Airlines said it was confused that after the first round of talks, it met the key demands proposed by the union — essentially four pilots for flights of over 12 hours and three pilots for those of over eight hours — but the union kept bringing up new demands, making further concessions impossible.
Deputy Minister of Transportation and Communications Wang Kwo-tsai (王國材), the ministry's point man in the labor dispute, was hoping for a better result.
“I was very disappointed with the outcome, and I hope both sides can calm down and come up with better solutions,” Wang said.
The main issue separating China Airlines and its pilots is work hours on regional flights and how many hours constitute “overwork.”
The first round of negotiations last week broke down because the airline insisted it would only schedule three flight crew members on flights of over eight hours, while the pilots were asking for three pilots on flights of over seven hours.
Chen said the union yesterday agreed to the eight-hour threshold for three pilots, but was still demanding a seven-hour threshold for pilots flying multi-sector cargo flights.
Regional flights account for 40 percent of the airline's schedule and take eight hours on average for a round trip.
Wang yesterday announced that China Airlines passengers whose trips were disrupted by the pilots’ strike and who were not traveling as part of a tour group would receive US$250 compensation each.
China Airlines was previously only willing to offer independent travelers US$100 as compensation for the inconvenience.
Travelers in tour groups would be compensated based on the amount reported by their travel agency, he said.
At the Grand Hotel in Taipei yesterday, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) spoke about the labor dispute before addressing Taiwanese businesspeople based in China, saying that the government has been monitoring developments closely.
“We hope that both sides can sit down, and appeal to reason and flexibility during the negotiations,” she said.
The airline canceled 28 flights today, according to the latest flight information on its official Web site.
The 28 canceled flights include two flights from Taipei to Sydney and two round-trips between Taipei and Hong Kong, as well as three inbound flights from Vienna to Taipei, from Sydney to Taipei and from Osaka to Kaohsiung, the Web site showed.
For a complete list of China Airlines cancelations, visit www.china-airlines.com/au/en/discover/news/press-release/ announcement.
Passengers of the canceled flights are instead to board flights by Tigerair Taiwan (台灣虎航), Mandarin Airlines (華信航空) and other carriers.
Tigerair Taiwan and Mandarin Airlines are subsidiaries of China Airlines.
Wang said that China Airlines’ flight demand this week is expected to fall by 30 percent, as the Lunar New Year holiday ended on Sunday.
Other carriers would also have more seats to accommodate China Airlines passengers now that the holiday is over, he said.
Additional reporting by Shelley Shan
SECURITY CONCERNS: The Telecom Technology Center ran black-box tests for the Executive Yuan on devices and software from Chinese, US and South Korean firms Network devices from several Chinese manufacturers are insecure and allow personal information to be leaked, testing commissioned by the Executive Yuan has shown. A variety of devices and software, including apps, from Chinese, US and South Korean manufacturers that are used by government agencies at the central and local level were subjected to black-box testing — in which the functionality of an application is examined without knowing about its internal structure, an information-security official said yesterday on condition of anonymity. The Telecom Technology Center conducted the tests, which simulated cyberattacks, to determine their resilience to the attacks, the official said. The center
China would attack Taiwan if there is no other way of stopping it from becoming independent, Chinese General Li Zuocheng (李作成) said yesterday. Speaking at Beijing’s Great Hall of the People on the 15th anniversary of China’s “Anti-Secession” Law, Li, who is chief of the Joint Staff Department of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army Central Military Commission, left the door open to using force. The 2005 law is China’s legislative basis for military action against Taiwan. “If the possibility for peaceful reunification is lost, the people’s armed forces will, with the whole nation, including the people of Taiwan, take all necessary steps to
Americans awoke yesterday to charred and glass-strewn streets in dozens of cities after another night of unrest fueled by rage over the mistreatment of African Americans at the hands of police, who responded to the violence with tear gas and rubber bullets. Tens of thousands marched peacefully through streets to protest the death of George Floyd, a black man who died on Monday last week after a white Minneapolis police officer pressed his knee on his neck until he stopped breathing. However, many demonstrations sank into chaos as night fell: Vehicles and businesses were torched. The words “I can’t breathe” were
EXTRA INVITATIONS: Russia, Australia, South Korea and India would be asked to a later summit dedicated to countering China, Donald Trump said US President Donald Trump has been forced to cancel a planned face-to-face summit of G7 leaders this month and now wants to host an expanded meeting in September dedicated to countering China to which Russian President Vladimir Putin would be invited. Trump on Saturday announced that he had canceled the June meeting, which he had billed as a symbol of the US “transitioning back to greatness,” after German Chancellor Angela Merkel told him in a telephone call that she saw the summit in Washington as a health risk. Hundreds of security staff, journalists and officials also attend the two-day summits. Reports suggest