A man wearing a fake explosive vest and wielding a butcher knife on Thursday was shot to death by French authorities outside a police station as the nation marked a year of terror that started with the newsroom massacre at the Charlie Hebdo satirical newspaper.
The assailant — who shouted “Allahu Akbar” as he waved the knife at officers — was carrying a document with an emblem of the Islamic State group and “an unequivocal claim of responsibility in Arabic,” Paris authorities said.
The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack on Jan. 7 last year at Charlie Hebdo and on a kosher grocery store three days later that jointly killed 17 people. The group also claimed the Nov. 13 attacks on Paris cafes, restaurants, a sports stadium and a music hall that killed a combined 130 people.
Thursday’s incident shortly before noon in Paris’ Goutte d’Or neighborhood came almost one year to the minute after two militants burst into the offices of Charlie Hebdo, killing 11 people.
Just moments earlier, French President Francois Hollande had paid respects to fallen security forces — three of whom were killed last year in terrorist violence — saluting their valor in protecting “this way of life, the one that terrorists want to attack.”
In Belgium, police found three belts for possible use in suicide attacks, traces of explosives and a fingerprint of wanted Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam at a Brussels apartment, prosecutors said yesterday.
Prosecutors said Abdeslam might have hidden in the apartment after the Nov. 13 attacks, but that they were also working on a theory that the explosive devices used in the attacks could have been made there.
The find was made last month during a search of an apartment in the Schaerbeek area of the Belgian capital, prosecutors said. It was rented by someone using a false name, possibly used by another suspect now in custody.
“In the framework of the investigation opened after the Paris attacks, the federal prosecutor confirms that during a house search conducted [on] December 10th in an apartment on the third floor, Rue Bergi in Schaerbeek, material that can be used to fabricate explosives, as well as traces of TATP [acetone peroxide, an explosive material] were found,” the prosecutor said.
“This apartment was rented under a false identity that might have been used by a person already in custody in this case,” the statement said. “Three handmade belts that might be used to transport explosives, as well as a fingerprint of Salah Abdeslam were also discovered.”
SCHEDULE: The delegation is due to meet with President Tsai Ing-wen this morning and witness the signing of an MOU on bilateral health cooperation in the afternoon US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar yesterday arrived in Taipei aboard a US government plane at the head of a delegation that is the highest-level visit by a US official since Washington switched diplomatic recognition to China in 1979. Azar’s flight landed at Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport) at 4:48pm, nearly one hour earlier than scheduled, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. The apron where it landed is reserved for military aircraft, the Songshan Air Force Base Command said. The members of Azar’s delegation included HHS Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response Robert Kadlec, HHS Chief of Staff Brian
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did
The military last week sent “no small number” of Marine Corps officers to the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Island, 東沙群島) following reports of a Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) drill targeting the islands scheduled for this month. In an interview with Hong Kong’s Bauhinia Magazine published on Saturday last week, PLA National Defense University professor Li Daguang (李大光) confirmed that the Chinese army was planning to stage a simulated invasion of the Pratas Islands in the South China Sea this month. The islands comprise three atolls, with Pratas Island, at 1.74km2, being the largest. They lie southwest of Taiwan proper in the South