Volkswagen chief executive Martin Winterkorn resigned yesterday, taking responsibility for the German carmaker’s rigging of US emissions tests in the biggest scandal in its 78-year history.
“Volkswagen needs a fresh start — also in terms of personnel. I am clearing the way for this fresh start with my resignation,” Winterkorn said in a statement.
He said he was shocked by events of the past few days, above all that misconduct on such a massive scale was possible at the company.
A five-member executive committee had grilled Winterkorn, 68, since morning at the company’s headquarters in Wolfsburg, Germany.
The company was under huge pressure to take decisive action, with its shares down more than 30 percent in value since the crisis broke, and the bad news still coming.
German prosecutors yesterday said that they were conducting a preliminary investigation into the manipulation of vehicle emission test results at Volkswagen, while French Minister of Ecology, Sustainable Development and Energy Segolene Royal said her country would be “extremely severe” if its investigation into the firm found any wrongdoing.
US authorities are planning criminal investigations after discovering that Volkswagen programmed computers in its cars to detect when they were being tested and alter the running of their diesel engines to conceal their true emissions.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel had urged Volkswagen to move “as quickly as possible” to restore confidence in a company held up for generations as a paragon of German engineering prowess.
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on Friday last week said that Volkswagen could face penalties of up to US$18 billion for cheating emissions tests on some of its diesel cars.
The story has sent shockwaves through the car market, with dealers in the US reporting people holding back from buying diesel cars and “#dieselgate” trending on Twitter.
Diesel engines account for less than 3 percent of new cars sold in the US but around half of cars in Europe, where governments have encouraged their use to meet fuel efficiency and greenhouse gas targets.
Their biggest selling point is their fuel economy and low carbon emissions compared to standard gasoline engines. However, they also emit far more nitrogen dioxide, a toxic gas blamed for health problems.
The suggestion that their emissions in real world conditions are worse than reported in tests could harm the whole sector and alter the future of the car industry worldwide.
“The Volkswagen issue is another black eye for the diesel engine overall,” Mike Jackson, the chief executive of the AutoNation, the largest US car retailer, told CNBC, adding the “brand position” of Volkswagen was at risk in the US market.
Volkswagen on Tuesday said that it was setting aside 6.5 billion euros (US$7.3 billion) to help cover the costs of the crisis.
Analysts doubt that will be enough, with the company disclosing that 11 million of its cars were fitted with Type EA 189 engines that had shown a “noticeable deviation” in emission levels between testing and road use.
The US Department of Justice has launched a criminal probe, a source familiar with the matter said. New York and other state attorneys general are also forming a group to investigate.
Environmentalists have long complained that carmakers game the testing regime to exaggerate the fuel-efficiency and emissions readings of their vehicles.
European politicians yesterday voted to speed up rules to tighten compliance with pollution limits on cars.
‘HERO OF THE ERA’: President Tsai Ing-wen expressed deep sadness at Lee’s passing, and told the government to assist his family with all their needs Former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) passed away at 7:24pm yesterday at Taipei Veterans General Hospital. He was 97 years old. The hospital stated the cause of death as septic shock and multiple organ failure. Lee had been hospitalized there since February, when he choked on a mouthful of milk at home. He was later diagnosed with pulmonary infiltrates and aspiration pneumonia. The hospital said that Lee had been treated with antibiotics, but that his health had not improved, as his advanced age and diabetes had inhibited his immune system and led to recurring infections. During his hospitalization, Lee underwent daily kidney dialysis, which removed
‘WEAK POSITIVE’: The man arrived in Taiwan in May and was quarantined for two weeks, Chen Shih-chung said, adding that he might be infected a long time ago The government is considering tightening mask-wearing rules again in light of a potential domestic COVID-19 infection, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases, six of which are imported. The other case involves a Belgian engineer who entered Taiwan on May 3 and remained in quarantine until May 17, said Chen, who heads the CECC. Although the source of infection has yet to be identified, the case could end the nation’s record of not having any domestic cases in the previous 110 days. The Belgian, in his 20s, is a technician
RECEIVING TREATMENT: President Tsai Ing-wen, Vice President William Lai and Premier Su Tseng-chang visited former president Lee Teng-hui yesterday morning Taipei Veterans General Hospital yesterday rebutted speculation that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had died a day earlier, saying that he was weak, but receiving treatment. The hospital said the 97-year-old Lee was not in good condition and needed ongoing care, adding that if there are any changes in his condition, it would make those public. The comments came after rumors emerged online on Tuesday that Lee had died after being hospitalized since early February. Soon after the unsubstantiated rumors emerged, reporters started flocking to the hospital seeking confirmation. Lee was admitted to Taipei Veterans General Hospital on Feb. 8 after choking while drinking
THAI CASE UPDATE: Twenty-nine close contacts of the worker have been tested with two types of tests, including 18 dorm mates, with 28 negative results so far Five imported cases of COVID-19, four from the Philippines and one from Hong Kong, were reported yesterday, bringing the total confirmed cases in Taiwan to 467, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. The four returning from the Philippines were on the same flight, and the local health department has identified 15 people who had direct contact with them — including 10 passengers in the two rows in front or behind them, who have been put under 14-day home isolation, and five crew members, who will practice 14-day self-health management, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang