The US Secret Service director resigned on Wednesday, paying the price for a string of security lapses by the elite presidential protection branch, including one in which an armed intruder ran into the White House.
Julia Pierson stepped down a day after enduring a withering public grilling by lawmakers, who pronounced themselves baffled at failures by Secret Service agents, another of which saw an armed former felon get on an elevator with US President Barack Obama.
Pierson had been brought into the agency as a new broom after the reputation of its sharp-suited agents took a hit from drinking and prostitution scandals, but she leaves with the Secret Service facing searching questions from critics who have even warned that the lives of the president and his family are not safe, due to several high-profile failures.
Bowing to rising political pressure, Pierson offered her resignation and it was accepted by US Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson.
Johnson appointed Joseph Clancy — who formerly headed the presidential protection branch of the Secret Service as an interim replacement.
An independent panel will be named to probe a Sept. 19 incident, which saw knife-carrying homeless US Army veteran Omar Gonzalez allegedly jump the White House fence and run into the residence.
Gonzalez pleaded not guilty on Wednesday to three counts, including unlawfully entering a restricted building or grounds with a deadly or dangerous weapon.
In another incident last month, an armed security contractor with a criminal record was allowed into an elevator with Obama when he visited the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Georgia.
In another eye-opening development, Obama spokesman Josh Earnest on Wednesday said that the presidency had only been made aware of the full circumstances of the Atlanta incident shortly before it appeared in a report on Tuesday.
Pierson’s sullen performance before angry lawmakers on Tuesday did little to shield her agency.
“It’s clear that our security plan was not properly executed,” Pierson said of the Sept. 19 intrusion. “This is unacceptable and I take full responsibility, and I will make sure that it does not happen again.”
Following the hearing, Pierson was besieged by calls for her departure by angry lawmakers.
Leading Democratic Senator Chuck Schumer said that the administration had done the right thing by bringing new leadership to the Secret Service.
“The series of breaches has been serious and hard to explain. They need to get to the bottom of it quickly and fortunately this process has now begun,” he said.
The White House said that Obama, who says he has full confidence in the agents who protect him, called Pierson on Wednesday afternoon to thank her for 30 years of dedicated service.
The Gonzalez incident and the elevator breach proved to be catalysts for Pierson’s departure.
The 42-year-old Iraq veteran’s intrusion triggered widespread incredulity, with lawmakers demanding to know how someone could scale an iron fence, race 70m across a lawn, enter an unlocked White House front door, knock down an agent and run into the East Room without being stopped.
China yesterday threatened countermeasures against the US if it was punished for plans to impose a sedition law on Hong Kong, which the territory’s security chief hailed as a new tool that would defeat “terrorism.” Beijing plans to pass a new security law for Hong Kong that bans treason, subversion and sedition after months of massive, often-violent pro-democracy protests last year. However, many Hong Kongers, business groups and Western nations fear the proposal could be a death blow to the territory’s treasured freedoms and thousands took to the streets on Sunday, despite a ban on mass gatherings introduced to combat the COVID-19
SAFETY CONCERNS: Police have received information about gangsters planning to interfere by filming voters, disrupting lines and other possible intimidation tactics Hundreds of additional police officers are to be deployed to safeguard public security in the buildup to a recall vote against Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) on Saturday next week, National Police Agency (NPA) Deputy Director-General Tsai Tsang-po (蔡蒼柏) said yesterday, amid reports of gangsters planning to cause disruptions and dissuade people from voting. “We are deploying additional law enforcement units and upgrading the alert level, with the NPA to deploy 500 officers to Kaohsiung to prepare for the recall vote,” Tsai told lawmakers at the legislature in Taipei. “The NPA and the Kaohsiung Police Department have established a task force led
Taiwan has donated US$700,000 to two APEC sub-funds to highlight the importance of health and technology amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. Taiwan has been a member of APEC since joining the 21-member organization under the name “Chinese Taipei” in 1991. Malaysia, the host for all APEC meetings this year, has informed member states that the second senior officials’ meeting, scheduled for June 15 to 28, is to be postponed due to the pandemic, Department of International Organizations Director-General Bob Chen (陳龍錦) told a regular news briefing in Taipei. However, a virtual extraordinary senior officials’ meeting for discussing
YouTube on Tuesday said that it was investigating the removal of comments critical of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) from the video-sharing platform, saying the filtering appeared to be “an error.” The statement from the Google-owned video service came after a media report in The Verge prompted by complaints from technology entrepreneur Palmer Luckey. Luckey, a founder of the virtual reality group Oculus, who is now with a defense technology firm, on Monday wrote on Twitter: “YouTube has deleted every comment I ever made about the Wumao, an internet propaganda division of the Chinese Communist Party.” He suggested that the filtering appeared to