The US Department of State proposed on Friday that Asian nations not build new outposts or expand existing ones in the South China Sea to help lower the risk of a conflict as tensions mount in its resource-rich waters.
Meanwhile, the US Senate passed a resolution urging all nations to refrain from “destabilizing activities” and expressing US commitment to freedom of navigation in the Asia-Pacific region.
Speaking at a Washington think tank, senior State Department official Michael Fuchs voiced great concern over the “increasingly tenuous situation” as an assertive China and five of its neighbors vie for control of tiny islands and reefs in waters with plentiful fisheries and potential hydrocarbon reserves.
Fuchs said no claimant was solely responsible for the tensions, but criticized a pattern of “provocative” behavior by China.
He detailed a proposal for a voluntary freeze on activities that escalate tensions, to flesh out a 2002 declaration by China and the Southeast Asian bloc that calls for self-restraint in the South China Sea. The US is expected to push the proposal at a gathering of Asian foreign ministers in Myanmar next month.
Fuchs said the claimants themselves would need to agree on the terms, but suggested stopping the establishment of new outposts and any construction and land reclamation that would fundamentally change existing outposts. He also proposed that one claimant should not stop another from continuing long-standing economic activities in disputed areas.
Simmering tensions in the South China Sea have spiked since early May, when China deployed a large oil rig close to the disputed Paracel Islands (Xisha Islands, 西沙群島), triggering a continuing standoff with Vietnam. Taiwan also claims the islands.
In mid-June, the Philippines said it would call for a region-wide moratorium on construction after China began building a school on the largest island in the Paracels to serve the children of military personnel, two years after it established a city there to administer the vast area it claims.
China rejected the suggestion. It says its maritime and territorial claims have a historical basis and it is reluctant to embrace regional solutions for what it views as bilateral disputes. Other claimants are Brunei and Malaysia.
Fuchs said the proposed freeze on activities could help dial down tensions and smooth the way for negotiations on a legally binding — and long-delayed — code of conduct.
China objects to what it considers US interference in the matter.
Washington, which plans US$156 million in assistance for Southeast Asian nations for building their maritime capabilities over the next two years, maintains that it is impartial in the sovereignty disputes, but has an interest in their peaceful resolution.
The bipartisan Senate resolution on Thursday passed calls for the peaceful resolution of territorial and maritime disputes and reaffirms US defense treaty obligations with the Philippines and Japan — which is locked in a separate dispute with China over unoccupied islands in the East China Sea.
Taiwan also claims those islands.
A public health expert yesterday warned that too many people are meeting in small groups in coffee shops and restaurants without keeping a proper distance from one another, as he urged the government to loosen the criteria for testing young Taiwanese returning from abroad for COVID-19. People need to keep a social distance of at least 2m, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health dean Chan Chang-chuan (詹長權) said as the college presented its seventh weekly report on COVID-19 at a morning news conference. More than 300,000 confirmed cases of the virus have been reported in more than three-quarters of all
TWEET CONFIRMED: The US’ Morgan Ortagus backed up Taiwan, saying China only admitted that human-to-human transmission was possible as late as Jan. 20 Taiwan warned the WHO and China about possible human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus at the end of last year, but the global health body did not make it public, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. Department of International Organizations Director-General Bob Chen (陳龍錦) made the remark at a news briefing in Taipei, when asked about statements made by US Department of State spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus. “Dec. 31— that’s the same day Taiwan first tried to warn WHO of human-human transmission. Chinese authorities meanwhile silenced doctors and refused to admit human-human transmission until Jan. 20, with catastrophic consequences,” Ortagus wrote on
MORE CASES EXPECTED: Many young Taiwanese would be returning home over the next two weeks, as schools in many nations closed, the health minister said Twenty-six new COVID-19 cases were confirmed yesterday, including five clusters, and all but one were imported, bringing Taiwan’s total number to 195, as border controls and home quarantine measures prove their effectiveness, the head of the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said. Twelve of the new cases were in people tested at airports upon their return, 11 were in people under home quarantine and two were people who tested positive after seeking medical treatment, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said at its daily news conference. “The new domestic case is a woman who lives with
ON THE LOOKOUT: A Lockheed EP-3 reconnaissance plane was yesterday seen flying southwest of Kaohsiung, according to Twitter account ‘Aircraft Spots’ A Twitter account that tracks military aircraft movements has indicated an increase in US military activity near Taiwan, coinciding with an increase in Chinese military activity in the area. Planes from the US Seventh Fleet have been sighted frequently above the South China Sea in the past several days, and a US Navy EP-3 reconnaissance plane was seen flying close to Taiwanese airspace southwest of Kaohsiung yesterday, according to posts by the Twitter account Aircraft Spots. The EP-3 was seen circling above the same area, Aircraft Spots said, adding that other planes from the fleet were seen in the past few days