Taiwan’s Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) and the Aviation Police Bureau both confirmed yesterday that they had received information on a potential terrorist attack at the Beijing Capital International Airport last week, adding that police were still verifying the authenticity of the report.
The information surfaced after the Malaysian Ministry of Transport confirmed that two people had boarded the vanished Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 with stolen European passports, leading some to suspect the plane’s disappearance was linked to terrorists.
CAA Deputy Director-General Lee Wan-li (李萬里) said the agency was informed by China Airlines (CAL) on Tuesday last week that the airline received a telephone call alleging that there would be a bomb attack at the Beijing Airport.
The CAA relayed the information to National Security Bureau, Lee said.
Aviation Police Bureau Director Wang Lung (王隆) said that CAL said the caller was a man who claimed he belonged to an anti-terrorism organization in France.
“Speaking in French, at first, and later in Mandarin, with a Cantonese accent, the man said the East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM) had planned to launch an attack at the Beijing Airport that would be similar to the one carried out at the Kunming Railway Station earlier this month,” Wang said.
“He was trying to call the airport in Beijing, but the line seemed always busy. He called CAL instead, hoping the airline would help send the message. However, the airline did not write down his telephone number. We think the call should be from somewhere overseas and are still verifying the information. We have told the Public Security Bureau in China that they should be on alert,” Wang added.
The ETIM is a Muslim separatist group founded by militant Uighurs, members of the ethnic majority in northwest China’s Xinjiang Province. The group was accused by the Chinese authorities of instigating the massacre in Kunming on March 1, that killed 29 civilians and injured more than 150 others. Wang also said that the nation has yet to raise the terror alert level, which remains at “green,” because the target of the alleged terrorist attack was not Taiwan.
Nevertheless, he said the bureau will not take any chances and will continue to investigate the matter.
This would mark the first time that the nation’s Aviation Police received a tip on a terrorist attack, Wang said.
He added that the bureau had asked all its units to step up security measures at the nation’s airports, particularly on flights heading to China.
Office of National Security Director Shih Tseng-kang (石增剛) also said the office instructed the National Police Agency to step up security measures at the nation’s airports soon after it received the threat information from the CAA.
Meanwhile, Coast Guard Administration (CGA) Minister Wang Ginn-wang (王進旺) said Taiwan yesterday sent two coast guard vessels to assist in the search for the missing plane.
The vessels will be joined by ships from Taiwan’s navy, Wang said, without specifying how many ships will contribute.
The Coast Guard vessels are expected to reach the search area more than 1,000 nautical miles (1,852km) away at about midday on Friday, Wang said before attending a legislative committee hearing.
Wang said CGA personnel will work with search-and-rescue teams from other countries, but he could not give an estimate of how long the Taiwanese patrol vessels will stay there.
President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) is said to be closely following news of the missing airliner and called for Taiwan to take part in the international mission to search for it.
Presidential Office spokesperson Lee Chia-fei (李佳霏) added that Ma also asked the military to strengthen the patrol missions it conducts with its frigate and aircraft in the South China Sea.
The navy and air force are to beef up their patrol missions in the region, the defense ministry said.
Additional reporting by Shih Hsiu-chuan, Rich Chang and CNA
UNFIT TO LEAD? The WHO head blamed Taiwan for attacks on his person and said that the nation’s bid to join had an ‘ulterior political motive,’ a report said WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus should not allow politics to supersede professionalism, Presidential Office spokesman Xavier Chang (張惇涵) said yesterday after it was reported that Tedros had complained about Internet commentary that he was pro-China and unfit to continue in his position. The Chinese-language report by Up Media on Thursday cited a source familiar with Taiwanese foreign affairs as saying that Tedros blamed Taiwan for attacks on his person and that the nation’s bid to join the WHO had an “ulterior political motive.” While Chang said he could not be certain what Tedros had said, regardless of the comments, his allegations were
‘TAIWAN MODEL’: The government aims to determine whether using normal scheduled flights better meets its objectives than the charter flights used previously The Straits Exchange Foundation yesterday announced a third set of flights to evacuate 440 Taiwanese from China’s Hubei Province due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The flights, operated by China Airlines Ltd (中華航空) according to its normal schedule, are on Sunday and Monday next week. They are to depart Shanghai Pudong International Airport at 7:50pm and arrive at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport at 9:50pm, the foundation said. China Airlines is to dispatch two Boeing 777. The aircraft has a capacity of 358 passengers, but each would only carry 220 to ensure a proper distance is maintained between those onboard, it said. Within hours of the foundation
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Thursday stood defiant in the face of a US$15 million bounty issued by the US for him to face drug trafficking charges, calling US President Donald Trump a “racist cowboy,” and warning that he is ready to fight by whatever means necessary should the US and Colombia dare to invade. Maduro’s bellicose remarks came hours after the US announced sweeping indictments against him and several members of his inner circle, for allegedly converting Venezuela into a criminal enterprise at the service of drug traffickers and terrorist groups. One indictment by prosecutors in New York accused Maduro and
The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported 17 new cases of COVID-19, bring the nation’s total number of confirmed cases to 252. Of the new cases, 15 were imported and two were locally transmitted, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said at the center’s daily news conference in Taipei. The 15 imported cases were seven women and eight men in their 20s to 60s who entered Taiwan between Monday last week and Monday this week, said Chen, who also heads the center. Prior to the onset of their illness, they had traveled to the US, the UK, New Zealand, Spain,