A National Communications Commission (NCC) investigation has confirmed that Taiwan Broadband Communications (TBC, 台灣寬頻) indirectly received funding from China through Asia Pay Television Trust (APTT), which was created by its major shareholder, but the amount accounted for less than 1 percent of the issued trust certificates.
APTT is owned by Macquarie Group, TBC’s largest shareholder.
Lawmakers on Monday asked the commission to investigate if the Singapore-listed trust fund had accepted Chinese investment and report back to them in two days.
The request followed a report in the Chinese-language China Times on Monday that APTT had received funds from Chinese investors.
Commission spokesperson Yu Hsiao-cheng (虞孝成) said the report was delivered to the Legislative Yuan yesterday morning, but he refused to reveal the results.
“The investigation was conducted at the request of the legislators, so we leave it to them to disclose the results,” Yu said. “If you wrote a letter to someone, would it be appropriate for you to tell a third party what the letter was about before the recipient read it?”
A copy of the report obtained by the Taipei Times from a source at the legislature showed 37 units of APTT were owned by investors who might be from China, although they accounted for about 0.06 percent of the trust certificates.
Based on the report, APTT told the investors to sell the units based on the trust deed. Should the investors fail to sell the units within a set time, the trust fund manager can force a sale.
Yu said that cable service operator TBC would not be fined if the trust fund was found to have accepted Chinese investment.
“The trust deed clearly states what the manager would do if they found Chinese had invested in the trust fund,” Yu said. “The commission was aware of the deed, and that was why we approved of the TBC’s change of overseas investment last week. Nothing that has happened was a surprise to us.”
Yu said the NCC would take action if Macquarie fails to follows the deed, and could ask it to withdraw its investment if necessary.
A signaling system malfunction disrupted high-speed rail (HSR) services beginning at 8am today, with trains temporarily reduced to three northbound and three southbound trains per hour as authorities conduct inspections. The malfunction occurred on a section of track in Miaoli County during pre-operation checks early this morning, forcing northbound and southbound trains to use a single track, the HSR operator said. The regular schedule has been replaced with three hourly trains offering only nonreserved seating in each direction, stopping at every station, it said, adding that business class cars would still have reserved seating. Departures from terminal stations are scheduled at the top
Taiwan is still in the process of assessing the possibility of recruiting workers from Eswatini, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday, adding that its goal is to help Eswatini upgrade its vocational training centers. If there are plans to recruit workers from Eswatini, safeguarding national security, protecting public health and ensuring the employment rights of Taiwanese would be prerequisites, Department of West Asian and African Affairs Director-General Yen Chia-liang (顏嘉良) told a news conference. Key considerations would also include filling labor shortages in specific industries, and fostering bilateral professional and technical exchanges, he said. Yen was asked about the progress of labor
A US uncrewed surface vessel (USV) encountered multiple Chinese warships during an autonomous transit of the Taiwan Strait, US defense company Seasats said in a statement on Wednesday. Seasats announced that a Lightfish USV had completed the first autonomous transit of the Taiwan Strait. Over five days, the USV traversed the entire length of the Strait while constantly monitoring surface vessel traffic, the company said. The Lightfish encountered multiple Chinese warships, one of which was a Chinese People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) Type 056 corvette, it said. The Chinese vessels were operating “well within Taiwan’s exclusive economic zone without transmitting their identity via the
VERBOSE VESSELS: A CGA cutter and a China Coast Guard exchanged verbal barbs for more than a day in Taiwanese-controlled waters before the Chinese vessel left The Taiwanese and Chinese coast guards had a standoff near the strategically located Pratas Islands (Dongsha Islands, 東沙群島) in the north of the South China Sea, the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) said yesterday. The two sides engaged in intense radio exchanges over sovereignty claims during the 33-hour standoff. China Coast Guard vessel 3501 eventually left the restricted waters, 26.6 nautical miles (49.2km) west of the Pratas Islands, at 5pm yesterday, the CGA said. Lying approximately between southern Taiwan and Hong Kong, the Taiwan-controlled Pratas are seen by some security experts as vulnerable to Chinese attack due to their distance — more than