Mexican soldiers on Saturday captured the leader of the Gulf drug cartel, the second major blow in a month to the crime syndicates that have terrorized the country for years.
Soldiers captured Mario Armando Ramirez Trevino in a Saturday morning operation, the Mexican Ministry of the Interior said in a brief statement, describing him only as “the head of a criminal organization that operated in the north of the country.”
He is the second drug kingpin captured by the government of Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto following the July 15 arrest of Miguel Angel Trevino Morales, the head of the paramilitary Zetas cartel.
Pena Nieto, who took office in December last year, has pledged to reduce drug-related violence that has resulted in more than 70,000 deaths since 2006.
Ramirez Trevino, thought to be 51, became head of the once-powerful Gulf cartel after its former leader, Jorge Eduardo El Coss Costilla, was arrested in September last year.
The Gulf cartel first emerged smuggling liquor during the Prohibition era in the 1930s and is one of Mexico’s oldest criminal groups. Even though it has lost considerable terrain to rivals since its heyday in the mid-2000s, it retains key smuggling routes in eastern and northeastern Mexico.
Ramirez Trevino was captured in Rio Bravo, near the Texas border, according to a justice source in the northeastern state of Tamaulipas. Mexican military helicopters buzzed across the region on Saturday.
The US had offered a US$5 million reward for information leading to Ramirez Trevino’s arrest. The Gulf cartel boss was indicted in a US federal court in 2008 on crimes related to trafficking cocaine and marijuana from Mexico into the US.
The interior ministry said it would hold a press conference yesterday to discuss the details of his arrest.
Military checkpoints were set up outside Rio Bravo and the nearby border town of Reynosa, while soldiers and marines patrolled the streets, local media reported. Soldiers also took control of the international airport at Reynosa.
Reportedly a former drug addict, Ramirez Trevino — also known as El Pelon (Baldy) and “X-20” — rose to lead the Gulf cartel group that controlled criminal activities in the key smuggling town of Reynosa, across the Rio Grande river from McAllen, Texas.
In recent months he reportedly asserted his leadership over the cartel by crushing a rival faction.
Ramirez Trevino earlier worked closely with Osiel Cardenas Guillen, a former powerful cartel leader arrested in 2003 and currently serving a lengthy prison sentence in the US.
Under Osiel Cardenas the Gulf cartel hired the Zetas — elite anti-drug commandos that deserted and turned to criminality — to work as their enforcement arm. However, the Zetas turned on their employers in 2010 and in a series of bloody turf battles took over most of their territory.
The Zetas now battle the western Sinaloa Federation for control of the major drug trafficking routes to the US. The Sinaloa gang is headed by Joaquin El Chapo (Shorty) Guzman, Mexico’s most wanted man.
The captured former head of the Zetas, alias “Z-40,” is currently being held in a maximum-security prison in Mexico.
The two high-profile successes in Mexico help balance out some major setbacks, including the surprise release of jailed drug lord Rafael Caro Quintero, convicted in the 1985 torture and killing of US Drug Enforcement Administration agent Enrique Camarena and his Mexican pilot.
A local judge in the state of Jalisco on Aug. 7 ordered that Caro Quintero be released, claiming procedural mistakes in his case. The Mexican government has since ordered his detention again after receiving a US extradition request.
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
JUST QUESTIONS: Expelled reporter Ai Kezhu said that every member of Southeast Television had complied with the law and had not appeared on any talk shows Two Chinese reporters yesterday left Taiwan after the government revoked their accreditation and ordered them to leave amid a probe into allegations that several Chinese media outlets have set up studios and produced political talk shows in Taiwan. The two reporters — Ai Kezhu (艾珂竹) and Lu Qiang (盧薔) — worked for Fujian Province-based Southeast Television and arrived in Taiwan in December last year. The Mainland Affairs Council has launched an investigation after local media reported that Chinese broadcasters — including China Central Television, Southeast Television and FJTV — had set up studios in Taipei and produced political talk shows. Council Deputy Minister
UPTICK IN NUMBERS: The Taipei deputy mayor said the city has services to assist new immigrants, but has established an office specifically to help those from Hong Kong The Taiwan-Hong Kong Services and Exchanges Office today officially opens, where it is to provide humanitarian assistance to Hong Kongers, after Beijing yesterday passed a controversial national security law for the territory. President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) expressed dismay over China’s passage of the law, saying that Beijing has broken its pledge to allow Hong Kong to maintain a high degree of autonomy for at least 50 years following its handover from the UK. “I feel extremely disappointed [about the law’s passage], which means China did not keep its promise to Hong Kong,” Tsai said in Taipei. Beijing’s “broken promise” also
‘SIGNAL TO ALLIES’: The US Navy’s exercises are not in response to those carried out by China, the commander of the strike group led by the USS ‘Ronald Reagan’ said Two US aircraft carriers were yesterday conducting exercises in the disputed South China Sea, the US Navy said as China also carried out military drills that have been criticized by the US Department of Defense and neighboring states. China and the US have accused each other of stoking tension in the waterway at a time of strained relations over everything from COVID-19 to trade to Hong Kong. The USS Nimitz and USS Ronald Reagan were carrying out operations and exercises in the South China Sea “to support a free and open Indo-Pacific,” the navy said in a statement. It did not say exactly