Chinese coast guard ships yesterday sailed into disputed waters at the center of a bitter row with Tokyo, officials said, a day after China blasted Japanese lawmakers for visiting a controversial war shrine.
The four government vessels spent about two hours within the 12 nautical mile (22.2km) band around the Tokyo-controlled Senkaku Islands — which Taiwan calls the Diaoyutai Islands (釣魚台) and Beijing refers to as the Diaoyu Archipelago (釣魚群島) — in the East China Sea.
Japan said the vessels had left territorial waters by 12:30pm, but remained in the vicinity.
Following the incursion, the Japanese Foreign Ministry’s Asian and Oceanian Affairs Bureau Director-General Junichi Ihara lodged a protest with a senior diplomat at the Chinese embassy in Tokyo, Kyodo news agency reported.
Kyodo said seven ships were spotted just outside of the waters earlier yesterday, before the four Chinese coast guard vessels entered the disputed waters.
The incursion came after Beijing on Thursday summoned Japan’s ambassador to condemn a visit by nearly 100 Japanese lawmakers to the Yasukuni Shrine on the anniversary of Tokyo’s World War II surrender.
Japanese politicians’ visits to the site are seen as a slap in the face by neighboring nations, especially China and South Korea, which suffered from Tokyo’s imperialist expansion in the first half of the 20th century.
Yesterday’s incident was the latest in a series of incursions by Chinese ships as relations between Tokyo and Beijing plumb all-time lows.
Last week, the Japanese foreign ministry summoned Beijing’s envoy after Chinese ships spent more than a day in the disputed waters, their longest incursion since the long-simmering dispute erupted again last year after Tokyo nationalized some of the chain.
The islands — believed to harbor vast natural resources below their seabed — are seen as a potential flashpoint that some observers fear could lead to armed conflict between the Asian giants.
NINE NEW CASES: The CECC said two locally transmitted cases of COVID-19, and seven imported ones – five women and two men – brought the nation’s total to 348 People who refuse to wear a mask on public transportation after being asked to do so would face a NT$3,000 to NT$15,000 fine, effective immediately, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday after announcing nine additional COVID-19 cases. In a move to curtail the spread of the novel coronavirus, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications on Tuesday announced that people must wear masks on trains and intercity buses, while Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, on Tuesday said that people should wear them when they cannot maintain a social distance of 1.5m indoors. Chen yesterday
TRILLION PROPOSED: The premier said the goal was to keep ‘businesses solvent, the unemployment rate down, transportation and logistics going, and cash flowing’ The Executive Yuan yesterday announced an expanded economic stimulus package totaling NT$1.05 trillion (US$34.64 billion), including NT$81.6 billion in subsidies for employers to prevent a spike in unemployment. The increased budget comprises a special budget of NT$210 billion, up from the NT$60 billion already passed by the Legislative Yuan; NT$140 billion — up from NT$40 billion — to be appropriated from the general budget; and NT$700 billion in loans to industries affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics Minister Chu Tzer-ming (朱澤民) told a news conference at the Executive Yuan in Taipei. The NT$150 billion increase in the
The US National Security Council yesterday thanked Taiwan for its support amid the COVID-19 pandemic following President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) announcement that Taiwan would donate 10 million masks to hard-hit countries. The donation includes 2 million masks to the US on top of the weekly 100,000 announced previously; 7 million to Europe; and 1 million to diplomatic allies, on top of 1 million Taiwan procured for allies from their neighboring countries, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Wednesday. After European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen expressed appreciation for the donations, the US body yesterday wrote its thanks on Twitter. “We
TARGETED TEXTS: The center’s head said that visitor numbers at scenic spots were greater than expected and people did not do a very good job of social distancing The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday sent two warning text messages to urge people to practice social distancing, especially by avoiding crowded scenic areas. The two messages were sent at 11:55am on the third day of the four-day Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, reminding people about social distancing and hand hygiene to help prevent COVID-19 infection. “When visiting crowded scenic spots during the Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, please keep a social distance of at least 1.5m indoors and 1m outdoors, wear a mask and wash your hands frequently. Please wear a mask and seek immediate medical attention if you are feeling ill