Taiwanese artists, academics and representatives from the publishing and media sectors issued a joint statement yesterday calling on the government to reopen negotiations on the service trade pact that Taiwan and China signed last month.
The statement demanded that the Legislative Yuan hold individual public hearings on every industry affected by the pact and postpone a review of, or voting on, the pact until the government has released reports evaluating the impact of the agreement on Taiwan’s industries, society and national security.
The government should also recommence negotiations with China on the basis of the results of the legislature’s item-by-item review of the pact, according to the statement, which was issued by 18 academics, artists and representatives of the publishing and media industries.
Photo: George Tsorng, Taipei Times
Rex How (郝明義), a presidential adviser and chairman of Locus Publishing Co (大塊文化), questioned the negotiation process and criticized the government for not fully communicating with local businesses before signing the agreement.
Jang Show-ling (鄭秀玲), professor and chair of National Taiwan University’s Department of Economics, said the service pact would affect more than 1,000 industries and millions of workers in Taiwan, but the government has not been honest with the public about the impact of the agreement.
China has not committed in many areas to allowing Taiwanese companies to provide cross-border services, Jang said, adding that this could trigger an exodus of many Taiwanese professionals as well as small and medium-sized enterprises to China.
Under the agreement, China will open 80 service categories to Taiwanese investors, while Taiwan will open 64 categories to Chinese investment, including e-commerce, transportation, finance and medical care.
Although the sensitive publishing sector was not included in the pact, Jang questioned whether the opening of wholesale and retail services would allow Chinese publishers to sell their books in Taiwan.
“The doors are wide open,” she said.
Popular novelist and filmmaker Giddens Ko (柯景騰) called for a serious public debate on the issue, saying that the signing of the agreement should have followed a more democratic process.
“I hoped that the negotiation process could be more transparent, so that we could have a basic trust in the government,” Ko said.
Ruling and opposition legislators have reached a consensus that the agreement should be reviewed by all legislative committees during a Legislative Yuan extraordinary session, scheduled to be held from yesterday through Friday next week.
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very