The dispute between Taiwan and the Philippines is unrelated to the “one China” principle and Taipei will lodge a protest if Manila cites it as the basis for its handling of the matter, Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) Minister Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) told lawmakers yesterday.
“What happened between Taiwan and the Philippines is the business of the two countries, it has nothing to do with the ‘one China’ principle,” Wang said in response to lawmakers’ questions about Philippine President Benigno Aquino III’s recent remark that the dispute would be handled in accordance with Manila’s “one China” policy.
“The government of the Philippines should positively respond to the calls made by the Republic of China government as soon as possible,” Wang said at a meeting of the Internal Administration Committee at the legislature in Taipei.
Asked to comment on China’s expression of support for Taiwan because “Taiwan is part of China,” Wang thanked Beijing for its support, but said it should stay out of the dispute.
“We appreciate China’s concern over the killing of a Taiwanese fisherman. However, the council has contacted China’s Taiwan Affairs Office, urging China to stay out of the dispute,” Wang said. “We have informed them that their expression of concern over the issue would only make things more complicated at this time and we hope they understand this.”
Since the death of fisherman Hung Shih-cheng (洪石成) last week, China has voiced its concern several times and it reportedly sent a naval fleet through the disputed waters in the Bashi Channel on Wednesday.
The committee adopted a resolution urging the council to deliver an official notice to China, asking it to refrain from getting involved in the dispute.
Additional reporting by staff writer