Computer networks at major South Korean banks and top television broadcasters crashed simultaneously yesterday, paralyzing bank machines across the country and prompting speculation of a cyberattack by North Korea.
Screens went blank at 2pm, the state-run Korea Information Security Agency said, and more than six hours later, some systems were still down.
South Korean authorities could not immediately determine responsibility, but some experts suspect a cyberattack orchestrated by Pyongyang. The rivals have exchanged threats amid joint US-South Korean military drills and in the wake of UN sanctions meant to punish North Korea over its nuclear test last month.
The latest network paralysis took place just days after North Korea accused South Korea and the US of staging a cyberattack that shut down its Web sites for two days last week. Thailand-based Internet provider Loxley Pacific confirmed the North Korean outage, but did not say what caused it.
The South Korean shutdown did not affect government agencies or potential targets such as power plants or transportation systems and there were no immediate reports that bank customers’ records were compromised, but the disruption froze some commerce.
Major South Korean banks reported shutdowns, but networks later came back online and banking went back to normal.
Broadcasters KBS and MBC said their computers went down at 2pm, but officials said the shutdown did not affect daily TV broadcasts. Computers were still down more than five hours after the shutdown began, the news outlets said.
KBS employees said they watched helplessly as files stored on their computers began disappearing. Last year, North Korea threatened to attack several news companies, including KBC and MBC.
An official from the Korea Communications Commission said in a televised news briefing that investigators speculate that malicious code was spread from company servers that send automatic updates of security software and virus patches.
Orchestrating the mass shutdown would have taken at least one to six months of planning and coordination, said Kwon Seok-chul, CEO of cybersecurity firm Cuvepia Inc.
Kwon said he has not yet seen signs that the malware was distributed by North Korea.
“But hackers left indications in computer files that mean this could be the first of many,” he added.
‘HERO OF THE ERA’: President Tsai Ing-wen expressed deep sadness at Lee’s passing, and told the government to assist his family with all their needs Former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) passed away at 7:24pm yesterday at Taipei Veterans General Hospital. He was 97 years old. The hospital stated the cause of death as septic shock and multiple organ failure. Lee had been hospitalized there since February, when he choked on a mouthful of milk at home. He was later diagnosed with pulmonary infiltrates and aspiration pneumonia. The hospital said that Lee had been treated with antibiotics, but that his health had not improved, as his advanced age and diabetes had inhibited his immune system and led to recurring infections. During his hospitalization, Lee underwent daily kidney dialysis, which removed
‘WEAK POSITIVE’: The man arrived in Taiwan in May and was quarantined for two weeks, Chen Shih-chung said, adding that he might be infected a long time ago The government is considering tightening mask-wearing rules again in light of a potential domestic COVID-19 infection, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases, six of which are imported. The other case involves a Belgian engineer who entered Taiwan on May 3 and remained in quarantine until May 17, said Chen, who heads the CECC. Although the source of infection has yet to be identified, the case could end the nation’s record of not having any domestic cases in the previous 110 days. The Belgian, in his 20s, is a technician
RECEIVING TREATMENT: President Tsai Ing-wen, Vice President William Lai and Premier Su Tseng-chang visited former president Lee Teng-hui yesterday morning Taipei Veterans General Hospital yesterday rebutted speculation that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had died a day earlier, saying that he was weak, but receiving treatment. The hospital said the 97-year-old Lee was not in good condition and needed ongoing care, adding that if there are any changes in his condition, it would make those public. The comments came after rumors emerged online on Tuesday that Lee had died after being hospitalized since early February. Soon after the unsubstantiated rumors emerged, reporters started flocking to the hospital seeking confirmation. Lee was admitted to Taipei Veterans General Hospital on Feb. 8 after choking while drinking
ROAD TO HISTORY: When Lee Teng-hui joined the KMT, the likelihood of a Taiwanese becoming ROC president, much less its first directly elected one, was hard to imagine Lee Teng-hui (李登輝), who was born on Jan. 15, 1923, in the farming community of Sanshi Village, Taihoku Prefecture — now New Taipei City’s Sanzhi District (三芝) — during the Japanese colonial era, and rose to become mayor of Taipei and not only the Republic of China’s (ROC) first Taiwan-born president, but its first directly elected one as well. Educated in the Japanese educational system of the time, Lee, who spoke Japanese, Hoklo (also known as Taiwanese), Mandarin and English, won a scholarship to Kyoto Imperial University, but his studies were interrupted by World War II. He earned a bachelor’s