The National Freeway Bureau said that the volume of freeway traffic was expected to reach 2.9 million to 3 million vehicles yesterday, which would make it the highest daily volume during the Lunar New Year holiday.
The volume of traffic on the freeways on Monday was 2.8 million vehicles, a 75 percent increase compared with the normal daily average of 1.6 million, the bureau said.
The bureau had previously said yesterday — the third day of the Lunar New Year — would see the most traffic, as many people were likely to visit scenic spots or head to the airport for trips abroad.
Photo: Chu Pei-hsiung, Taipei Times
Traffic congestion was reported in some sections of the freeways as early as 6am to 7am.
“The traffic was heavier on the southbound side of Freeway No. 5 this morning, from about Nangang System (南港系統) to Shihding (石碇),” said Leu Wen-yuh (呂文玉), director of the bureau’s traffic management department.
The average speed fell as low as 20kph at one point.
Most of the congested sections were near scenic areas, such as between Dasi (大溪) and Lungtan (龍潭) in Taoyuan County, the southbound lanes near the Changhua System (彰化系統), between Wujih (烏日) and Wufeng (霧峰) in Greater Taichung and between the Mingjian (名間), Nantou County, interchange and the Jhushan (竹山), Nantou County, interchange on Freeway No. 3, the bureau said.
Since freeway tolls have been suspended between midnight and 7am for the duration of the holiday period to Sunday, the bureau said the volume of traffic during this period yesterday reached about 450,000 vehicles — three times the annual average.
The high-occupancy vehicle policy will be in place from 9am to 3pm today and tomorrow on the northbound lanes between the Kaohsiung (高雄) interchange and Neili (內壢), Taoyuan County, interchange on Freeway No. 1 and the Jiouru (九如), Pingtung County, interchange and Dashi (大溪) interchange on Freeway No. 3. It will be in effect from 2pm to 8pm on the northbound lanes between Suao (蘇澳) and Toucheng (頭城) interchanges in Yilan County on Freeway No. 5.
Malaysian authorities have advised women to wear makeup, not to nag their husbands and speak with a cartoon character’s soothing voice during the virus lockdown, sparking a flood of mockery online. Like many countries, Malaysia has ordered all citizens to stay at home to stem the spread of COVID-19, which, as of yesterday, had killed at least 39,070 people globally. In a series of online posters with the hashtag #WomenPreventCOVID19, the Malaysian Ministry of Women and Family Development issued advice on how to avoid domestic conflicts during the partial lockdown, which began on March 18. One of the campaign posters depicted
KEEP AWAY: People should wear a mask in places where they cannot follow social distancing rules, the CECC said, adding that it would publish detailed guidelines today The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 16 new cases of COVID-19, including two domestic cases, as it urged people to practice social distancing in public spaces by keeping a distance of at least 1m when outdoors and 1.5m indoors. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that seven of the new cases tested positive upon their arrival at the airport, four were under home quarantine, one was under home isolation and two were under self-health management, while the two domestic cases sought treatment on their own. The domestic cases are a man in his
Taiwan will negotiate with the WHO about its participation without Beijing’s help and intervention as more countries, including Australia and Japan, are partnering with Taiwan to curb the COVID-19 pandemic, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in a telephonic roundtable with reporters on Monday also supported Taiwan’s role in the WHO, saying the US Department of State would do its best to assist Taiwan’s “appropriate role” in the world’s highest health policy setting body, Voice of America reported. In a Japan Business Press report published on Sunday, Chinese Ambassador to Japan Kong Xuanyou (孔鉉佑) said
Japan’s ruling party yesterday proposed the nation’s biggest-ever stimulus package of ￥60 trillion (US$554 billion) as the COVID-19 pandemic locks the economy in a recession. The sum includes ￥20 trillion in fiscal measures with private initiatives and other elements likely making up the rest, the proposal by the Liberal Democratic Party showed. More than ￥10 trillion, or the equivalent of a 5 percentage point cut in the sales tax rate, would be handed out to the public in a combination of cash, subsidies and coupons, the plan showed. The proposal puts an initial figure on a stimulus package that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo