Local lawmakers in Okinawa passed a resolution yesterday expressing “overwhelming indignation” at the alleged rape of a Japanese woman by two US servicemen, as temperatures rose over the large US presence on the island chain.
The resolution, passed unanimously by the island chain’s assembly, said US military top brass were not doing enough to control their thousands of personnel.
“Yet another incident has taken place. In fact, the severity of the incidents is intensifying,” it said. “With overwhelming indignation, we must question the present efforts of the US Forces to prevent such incidents from happening.”
The arrest last week of two 23-year-old sailors for the alleged rape of a local woman worsened already strained ties between the large US military contingent and their reluctant hosts.
The resolution said more than 5,700 crimes had been committed by US military personnel, their family members or employees in the 40 years since the small island chain was handed back to Japan in 1972.
Figures from the Okinawa prefectural police show the percentage of crimes committed by this group has fallen from a high in 1973 of 6.9 percent of all crimes to 0.8 percent last year.
Last year, the group accounted for around three percent of Okinawa’s total population.
In the resolution, the assembly demanded “a fundamental review of the Japan-US Status of Forces Agreement,” which Okinawa governor Hirokazu Nakaima said effectively made the island an extraterritorial space for the US military.
The agreement limits the authority of Japanese investigators to prosecute US personnel, giving jurisdiction to the US military. Opponents say it too easily leaves criminals unpunished.
“We are so fed up with this because incidents like this have often occurred since before,” Nakaima told reporters as he arrived in Washington on Sunday, where he is due to attend a symposium. “I must let [Americans] know of such sentiment in Okinawa.”
Nakaima’s trip to Washington, which was planned before the alleged rape, comes as US authorities scramble to contain the fallout from the incident amid rising anti-US feeling in Okinawa.
On Friday the top US commander in Japan imposed a nationwide curfew on all personnel in the country and announced “core value retraining” would take place.
Previous criminal incidents, including the gang rape of a 12-year-old by three US soldiers in 1995, sparked angry large-scale demonstrations, with protesters demanding a smaller US footprint.
Around half of the 47,000 US military personnel based in Japan are stationed in Okinawa.
Relations at the moment are especially prickly, with locals resentful of the deployment of 12 tilt-rotor Osprey aircraft.
Ostensibly, the objections center on the Osprey’s perceived poor safety record, but commentators say it is a proxy issue for islanders fed up with what they see as an unequal burden. They call for mainland Japan to step up and take its share.
SCHEDULE: The delegation is due to meet with President Tsai Ing-wen this morning and witness the signing of an MOU on bilateral health cooperation in the afternoon US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar yesterday arrived in Taipei aboard a US government plane at the head of a delegation that is the highest-level visit by a US official since Washington switched diplomatic recognition to China in 1979. Azar’s flight landed at Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport) at 4:48pm, nearly one hour earlier than scheduled, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. The apron where it landed is reserved for military aircraft, the Songshan Air Force Base Command said. The members of Azar’s delegation included HHS Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response Robert Kadlec, HHS Chief of Staff Brian
CHINESE FIGHTERS: Beijing marked the US Cabinet member’s visit by briefly sending two warplanes across the median line of the Taiwan Strait yesterday morning President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday met with US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar in the highest-level official meeting between the two nations since 1979. “It is a true honor to be here to convey a message of strong support and friendship from [US] President [Donald] Trump to Taiwan,” Azar said during the open portion of his courtesy call to the Presidential Office, which was streamed live online before Tsai and Azar held a closed-door meeting. “Taiwan’s response to COVID-19 has been among the most successful in the world, and that is a tribute to the open, transparent,
Taiwanese-independence advocates yesterday accused former president Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) of breaking national security laws and called on the judiciary to investigate after his statement that “China will wage a battle, which will be quick and will be the last battle for Taiwan.” Ma showed his true colors “as a mouthpiece of the Chinese Communist Party” in his speech on Monday when he said the “first battle will be the last,” Taiwan Republic Office (台灣國辦公室) director Chilly Chen (陳峻涵) said. “Ma is threatening Taiwanese by claiming that Beijing will launch a quick invasion of Taiwan, but that the US military will have no
CHASTISING CHINA: Taiwan’s approach to combating the coronavirus stands in stark contrast to the country where the outbreak began, the US health secretary said International organizations are not the place to play politics, especially when the matter relates to healthcare, US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar said in Taipei yesterday, adding that the region and the world are safer because of Taiwan’s commitment to health promotion. On the third day of his visit, the highest-level visit by a senior US Cabinet official in decades, Azar met with Minister of Foreign Affairs Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) at the Grand Mayfull Hotel in Zhongshan District (中山) yesterday morning, following his meetings with President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) and Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中)