Philippine President Benigno Aquino III yesterday denied reports he had asked the US for spy planes to monitor a territorial dispute with China in the South China Sea.
Aquino told reporters that his country had its own ships and aircraft to keep an eye on the disputed Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) and that he had merely mentioned in an interview that US aircraft could be called upon for help if needed.
“If you will go through the transcript of the interview, I said: ‘We might’ [ask for US help],” he said.
“That is where [the interviewers] suddenly introduced the supposed request for overflights, which wasn’t what I stated,” he said.
Aides said Aquino had made the remarks during an interview with a foreign news agency on Monday.
Subsequent reports of the president’s alleged requests for US spy planes raised concerns within China, with the country warning the Philippines against provocation over the three-month standoff between the two countries.
“Let us correct that. America is a treaty ally. Where we are lacking in capacity, I think we can go to them and ask that they increase [our] situational awareness,” Aquino said yesterday.
The shoal stand-off began in April when Chinese vessels prevented the Philippine navy from arresting Chinese fishermen encroaching on what the Filipinos claim is a part of their country’s territory.
China claims nearly all of the South China Sea, even waters close to the coasts of its neighbors.
In addition to the whole of the Scarborough Shoal, the Philippines also claims parts of the Spratly Islands (Nansha Islands, 南沙島). It says the shoal is well within its 200 nautical mile (370km) exclusive economic zone.
Taiwan also claims part of the Spratlys.
Aquino yesterday said that the Philippines had withdrawn its own ships from the shoal almost three weeks ago, but Chinese ships were still in the area.
“If their vessels had also gone home ... there would be no more issue. So who is prolonging the issue?” he said.
“There are a lot of things being said by the other side. Maybe they need to balance their statements with the truth,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Philippines announced yesterday that it had filed a diplomatic protest with China over Beijing’s establishment of a new prefecture called “Sansha” to administer disputed territories in the South China Sea.
Philippine Foreign Ministry spokesman Raul Hernandez said Sansha’s establishment violated Manila’s claim to the Scarborough Shoal and parts of the Spratlys, and the continental shelf and waters off the country’s western coast.
He told reporters the ministry was awaiting the Chinese government’s response to the protest.
Vietnam has also protested China’s action because of its claims to several islands and islets..
China’s Cabinet approved the establishment of Sansha last month to administer three major island groups in the South China Sea and the surrounding waters, with the government seat to be based in the Paracel Islands (Xisha Islands, 西沙群島), which Taiwan also lays claim to.
Hernandez said Beijing’s decision contradicted a non-aggression accord signed by China and ASEAN in 2002 to prevent the territorial disputes from turning violent.
Additional reporting by AP
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
JUST QUESTIONS: Expelled reporter Ai Kezhu said that every member of Southeast Television had complied with the law and had not appeared on any talk shows Two Chinese reporters yesterday left Taiwan after the government revoked their accreditation and ordered them to leave amid a probe into allegations that several Chinese media outlets have set up studios and produced political talk shows in Taiwan. The two reporters — Ai Kezhu (艾珂竹) and Lu Qiang (盧薔) — worked for Fujian Province-based Southeast Television and arrived in Taiwan in December last year. The Mainland Affairs Council has launched an investigation after local media reported that Chinese broadcasters — including China Central Television, Southeast Television and FJTV — had set up studios in Taipei and produced political talk shows. Council Deputy Minister
UPTICK IN NUMBERS: The Taipei deputy mayor said the city has services to assist new immigrants, but has established an office specifically to help those from Hong Kong The Taiwan-Hong Kong Services and Exchanges Office today officially opens, where it is to provide humanitarian assistance to Hong Kongers, after Beijing yesterday passed a controversial national security law for the territory. President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) expressed dismay over China’s passage of the law, saying that Beijing has broken its pledge to allow Hong Kong to maintain a high degree of autonomy for at least 50 years following its handover from the UK. “I feel extremely disappointed [about the law’s passage], which means China did not keep its promise to Hong Kong,” Tsai said in Taipei. Beijing’s “broken promise” also
‘BASELESS ACCUSATIONS’: Ker Chien-ming said it was not possible to drop Chen Chu’s nomination, while KMT lawmakers accused their DPP rivals of ‘homicidal behavior’ The Legislative Yuan is to vote on President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) nominations for the Control Yuan on July 17 after Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators regained access to the legislative chamber yesterday after it was occupied by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers for about 19 hours. The Legislative Yuan had been scheduled to meet yesterday morning to discuss its planned extraordinary session, but more than 20 KMT lawmakers on Sunday afternoon broke into the main chamber and occupied the legislative speaker’s podium to protest Tsai’s nomination of former Presidential Office secretary-general Chen Chu (陳菊) to be Control Yuan president. The KMT caucus