Sat, May 26, 2012 - Page 1 News List

Crew members in NZ oil spill given 7 months in prison


Containers lie on one side on the stern deck of the Rena, about 12 nautical miles (22km) from Tauranga on the east coast of New Zealand on Oct. 20 last year.

Photo: Reuters

The captain and the navigator of a ship that ran aground on a New Zealand reef last year in what authorities have called the country’s worst maritime environmental disaster were each sentenced yesterday to seven months in jail.

About 363 tonnes of fuel oil was spilled on Astrolabe Reef near Tauranga and at least 2,000 sea birds died following the Oct. 5 grounding of the cargo ship Rena.

Judge Robert Wolff of the Tauranga District Court sentenced the ship’s captain, Mauro Balomaga, and navigating officer, Leonil Relon, both of the Philippines.

The two had already pleaded guilty to operating the ship dangerously and altering documents after the crash. They had earlier been granted name suppression by the court, but that expired when they were sentenced.

A preliminary report released by transport investigators in March found that the Rena took shortcuts to try to reach port by its deadline.

Maritime New Zealand, the agency responsible for shipping in New Zealand, said it was pleased with the sentences.

Maritime New Zealand director Keith Manch said in an e-mail yesterday that an investigation by his agency found that the two senior officers, who were responsible for navigating the ship, had breached basic principles of safe navigation in their rush to get to port. He said that even after a series of missteps, there was still a chance the men could have averted the disaster.

About 10 minutes before the 2am crash, he said, the reef appeared as an echo reading on the Rena’s radar.

“At this stage, there was sufficient time to make an effective alteration of course and avoid the reef,” Manch wrote.

Instead, the captain assumed the reading came from a small ship, Manch said. After unsuccessfully trying to look for the ship in the dead of night, Manch said, the captain dismissed it as a false reading and continued.

Manch said that both officers acknowledged making alterations after the grounding to the ship’s GPS log, its passage plan and its computer to mislead investigating authorities.

“This offending is also very serious in that it caused genuine confusion for investigators trying to piece together the events that led to the grounding,” he said. “It is vital that when these types of events do take place, we can find out how and why they have happened to help prevent such an event happening again.”

Costamare, the Greek-based company that owns the Rena, said in a statement that it acknowledged the verdict against the two men.

“We will continue to meet our responsibilities, as their employer, to ensure their welfare and that of their families, as they complete their sentences,” the company wrote.

The wreck of the Rena remains on the reef. It split in two earlier this year, with the stern section sinking and the bow section remaining above water.

This story has been viewed 2963 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top