The Ministry of National Defense is paying close attention to ongoing maneuvers southeast of Taiwan by a fleet of Chinese navy vessels that includes one of the heaviest combat ships in the People’s Liberation Army Navy.
According to Japanese media, the Japan Self-Defense Forces first spotted the group of five Chinese vessels 650km southwest of Okinawa on Sunday after they had crossed the Strait of Miyako.
The five vessels from the Chinese navy’s South Sea Fleet — Type 052B destroyers Guangzhou and Wuhan; Type 054A frigates Yulin and Chaohu; and Type 071 landing platform dock (LPD) Kunlun Shan — left from Hainan Island and entered the Taiwan Strait, before making a right turn about 180km off Taiwan.
At 18,000 tonnes, the Kunlun Shan is one of the largest combat vessels in the Chinese navy. The LPD, which can support a reinforced battalion of as many as 800 marines and can carry landing craft and medium-sized helicopters, took part in anti-piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden in 2010.
After entering the Pacific, the vessels conducted tactical formation and helicopter training missions in international waters about halfway between Taiwan and the main Philippine island of Luzon.
Aside from a Taiwan contingency, Chinese LPDs could play a crucial role in operations in the South China Sea against countries such as the Philippines and Vietnam, with which Beijing has become embroiled in disputes over contested islets.
Commenting on the developments, Deputy Minister of National Defense Chao Shih-chang (趙世璋) told the legislature’s Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee yesterday that the ministry was closely monitoring the Chinese fleet and that it would continue to pay attention to its movements.
“Because the fleet is in international waters, its presence does not threaten Taiwan’s security for the moment,” he said.
Chao said the ministry believed the Chinese fleet was on a routine training exercise and that it was normal for any country to train their navy in international waters.
An unnamed navy official told the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) that the navy was studying the fleet’s intentions and monitoring whether it would -return to China by the same route or move to another area.
The rapidly modernizing Chinese navy has increased the frequency of its sorties in recent years. A number of those, the latest in February, have made encirclement-like maneuvers around Taiwan.
Many sorties have also taken Chinese vessels to waters near Japan and beyond the first island chain, which Beijing regards as an artificial line preventing it from breaking out as a sea power.
On April 29, three Chinese warships — Type 054A frigates Zhoushan and Xuzhou; and the electronic reconnaissance and missile tracking ship Beijixing — were seen 430km west of the Japanese island of Yakushima in Kagoshima Prefecture. It was the first time in nine years that Chinese navy vessels had passed through the Osumi Strait, which serves as a main transit route for the US Seventh Fleet.
Late last month, the Japanese military reported that Japan Air Self-Defense Force fighter aircraft were scrambled 156 times in response to Chinese naval aircraft approaching Japanese airspace last year, a record high since the Japanese military started releasing such data by country in 2001.
Japan said that flight patterns by Chinese aircraft had diversified, with intelligence-gathering planes becoming increasingly involved.
Additional reporting by Rich Chang
Passengers on domestic flights would not be allowed to board if their temperature is more than 37.5°C or if they refuse to have their temperatures taken, Uni Air (立榮航空) and Mandarin Airlines (華信航空) said yesterday. The two airlines made the announcement after their parent companies — EVA Airways (長榮航空) and China Airlines (CAL, 中華航空) respectively — announced similar pre-boarding requirements on Saturday, along with a requirement that passengers wear masks during their flights, except when they have meals or drinks. Uni Air and Mandarin Airlines said domestic passengers would be required to wear masks from the time they start using self-help
CASE COUNT RISES: One of the new domestic cases is a nurse at a long-term care center, but so far tests on all the residents and other staff have been negative Flight transits through all Taiwanese airports would be banned for two weeks, starting tomorrow, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday as it announced 16 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the nation’s total to 169. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), head of the center, said all flight transits would be banned through April 7. In light of the rapidly increasing number of imported COVID-19 cases, there was a need to further reduce cross-border travel and the risk of disease transmission, the center said. The Civil Aeronautics Administration has informed airlines about the new measures, and anyone who has
A public health expert yesterday warned that too many people are meeting in small groups in coffee shops and restaurants without keeping a proper distance from one another, as he urged the government to loosen the criteria for testing young Taiwanese returning from abroad for COVID-19. People need to keep a social distance of at least 2m, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health dean Chan Chang-chuan (詹長權) said as the college presented its seventh weekly report on COVID-19 at a morning news conference. More than 300,000 confirmed cases of the virus have been reported in more than three-quarters of all
TWEET CONFIRMED: The US’ Morgan Ortagus backed up Taiwan, saying China only admitted that human-to-human transmission was possible as late as Jan. 20 Taiwan warned the WHO and China about possible human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus at the end of last year, but the global health body did not make it public, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. Department of International Organizations Director-General Bob Chen (陳龍錦) made the remark at a news briefing in Taipei, when asked about statements made by US Department of State spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus. “Dec. 31— that’s the same day Taiwan first tried to warn WHO of human-human transmission. Chinese authorities meanwhile silenced doctors and refused to admit human-human transmission until Jan. 20, with catastrophic consequences,” Ortagus wrote on