North Korea test fired artillery shells into waters near a disputed border yesterday, provoking a South Korean volley of warning shots, raising tensions between the rivals as they inch toward disarmament talks.
South Korea issued a verbal warning after three shots landed near the tense maritime border at about 1pm and then in a tit-for-tat, the South returned three artillery rounds toward the same area about an hour later.
The South’s response came after the government was heavily criticized for failing to react with force last year when North Korea shelled one of its islands, Yeonpyeong, in the same area.
The attack on the island was the first on civilians since the end of the 1950 to 1953 Korean War.
“It is our assessment that it was part of a training exercise by the North,” a South Korean military official said. “Three shots were heard. Our assessment is one shell landed near the NLL [Northern Limit Line]. Accordingly we fired three shots back.”
Explaining why the South took an hour to respond, a defense official said: “We could not get visual confirmation about where the North’s shells landed and we needed to use equipment to assess where they landed.”
He said there was no unusual activity in the North indicating imminent aggression.
Fishing boats in the vicinity were called to port and Yeonpyeong residents were evacuated to emergency shelters, media reports said.
Financial markets barely reacted to the incident.
The South Korean military official said it was unclear at this point if any of the North Korean shells had landed on the South’s side of the NLL, the disputed maritime border.
The NLL was unilaterally drawn up by the US military at the end of the Korean War and it has been the scene of several skirmishes over the past decade.
In November, the North fired about 150 shells at Yeonpyeong, which is near the NLL, killing four people, including two civilians.
South Korean forces took nearly 15 minutes to respond to that attack and then they only returned fire in a way seen as disproportionately weak.
Tensions on the peninsula have subsequently eased after last year’s attacks and, last month, the two Koreas and the US discussed ways to restart talks on disarming North Korea’s nuclear program in return for ending its economic and political isolation.
NINE NEW CASES: The CECC said two locally transmitted cases of COVID-19, and seven imported ones – five women and two men – brought the nation’s total to 348 People who refuse to wear a mask on public transportation after being asked to do so would face a NT$3,000 to NT$15,000 fine, effective immediately, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday after announcing nine additional COVID-19 cases. In a move to curtail the spread of the novel coronavirus, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications on Tuesday announced that people must wear masks on trains and intercity buses, while Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, on Tuesday said that people should wear them when they cannot maintain a social distance of 1.5m indoors. Chen yesterday
TRILLION PROPOSED: The premier said the goal was to keep ‘businesses solvent, the unemployment rate down, transportation and logistics going, and cash flowing’ The Executive Yuan yesterday announced an expanded economic stimulus package totaling NT$1.05 trillion (US$34.64 billion), including NT$81.6 billion in subsidies for employers to prevent a spike in unemployment. The increased budget comprises a special budget of NT$210 billion, up from the NT$60 billion already passed by the Legislative Yuan; NT$140 billion — up from NT$40 billion — to be appropriated from the general budget; and NT$700 billion in loans to industries affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics Minister Chu Tzer-ming (朱澤民) told a news conference at the Executive Yuan in Taipei. The NT$150 billion increase in the
TARGETED TEXTS: The center’s head said that visitor numbers at scenic spots were greater than expected and people did not do a very good job of social distancing The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday sent two warning text messages to urge people to practice social distancing, especially by avoiding crowded scenic areas. The two messages were sent at 11:55am on the third day of the four-day Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, reminding people about social distancing and hand hygiene to help prevent COVID-19 infection. “When visiting crowded scenic spots during the Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, please keep a social distance of at least 1.5m indoors and 1m outdoors, wear a mask and wash your hands frequently. Please wear a mask and seek immediate medical attention if you are feeling ill
The US National Security Council yesterday thanked Taiwan for its support amid the COVID-19 pandemic following President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) announcement that Taiwan would donate 10 million masks to hard-hit countries. The donation includes 2 million masks to the US on top of the weekly 100,000 announced previously; 7 million to Europe; and 1 million to diplomatic allies, on top of 1 million Taiwan procured for allies from their neighboring countries, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Wednesday. After European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen expressed appreciation for the donations, the US body yesterday wrote its thanks on Twitter. “We